Gearbox Inspection - Opinions Please

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
447 - 3GO
I am slowly rebuilding a motor whose history is completely unknown.
I have never seen a gearbox in the flesh and I dont know what i'm looking for - serviceable or not.
The photos show so much detail that I'm having to seperate original machining marks from likely wear marks.
I am not qualified to do this and would appreciate your opinion on the condition of the gears and dogs.
With my limited experience/observation, I cant see any "out of place/unusual wear marks/odd wear patterns" on any dogs or gears.
Your help would be appreciated.
I have arranged the photos in an order from input shaft to output shaft.
Regards - Ray.

Attachments

• IS.JPG
    IS.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 63
  • ISL1.JPG
    ISL1.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 72
  • ISL2.JPG
    ISL2.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 78
  • ISR1.JPG
    ISR1.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 81
  • ISR2.JPG
    ISR2.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 82
  • OS.JPG
    OS.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 74
  • OSL1.JPG
    OSL1.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 63
  • OSL2.JPG
    OSL2.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 68
  • OSL3.JPG
    OSL3.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 67
  • OSR1.JPG
    OSR1.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 59
  • OSR2.JPG
    OSR2.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 60
  • OSR4.JPG
    OSR4.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 58
  • OSR5.JPG
    OSR5.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 57
  • OSR6.JPG
    OSR6.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 61
Picture ISR1, that looks like a bit of a spring or something laying on the gear in the center. Not an issue, just be sure to remove it before reassembly.

ISR2, the lower edge of the dog is a little rough, just touch it up with a stone to remove any bits that might break off. Otherwise fine.

Didn't see anything else. Put it back together and run it!

Downeaster - thanks for your reply and opinion. That bit of stuff is just the hi res photo showing a piece of lint.
Some more obsevations would be good as I dont want to put these cases back together and find i have a problem.
Anybody?
Once again Downeaster, thanks for your input.
Regards - Ray.

DE nailed it - all the dogs look good with nice square edges. There is a bit of wear on the 5th side of 3rd gear mainshaft (ISR2) that could be dressed a little.

Other than wear, the other thing to check is sideplay on the freewheeling gears to be .003-.005". I don't expect there will be excessive sideplay in that tranny as the dogs don't show an issue. The sideplay of the assembled shafts inside the bearings (when installed) should also be .003-.005"

How do the shifting forks look? (that's where problems more commonly arise)

JP and Two Many - thanks for your observations and all the links.
Yes - one shifter fork has noticeable wear and will need to be replaced.
I will look through the links to see if I can find a measurement for the amount of end play in the two shafts. Both seem to have a lot, which could be normal.
I need to check side play in the gears mentioned by JP.
Regards Ray.

447 - 3GO
I am slowly rebuilding a motor whose history is completely unknown.
I have never seen a gearbox in the flesh and I dont know what i'm looking for - serviceable or not.
The photos show so much detail that I'm having to seperate original machining marks from likely wear marks.
I am not qualified to do this and would appreciate your opinion on the condition of the gears and dogs.
With my limited experience/observation, I cant see any "out of place/unusual wear marks/odd wear patterns" on any dogs or gears.
Your help would be appreciated.
I have arranged the photos in an order from input shaft to output shaft.
Regards - Ray.
Other than a really hard look at any wear on the shifter forks I have two other pieces of advice. Get yourself a copy of Pahl's Yamaha XS 650 Engine Book and next, listen to everything they tell you on this forum. Couldn't have completed my bottom end without them.

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 36
Shipper - yep have the book and realise the value of this forum - thanks for the suggestions.
Two Many - read through all the links and learnt that the end play in both shafts is removed when the clutch and countershaft sprocket are bolted up - I was a bit concerned until I learnt this.
Another thing I need to suss out is the amount of play in the rivet/pivot where the shift claw attaches to the shift shaft - mine is pretty loose but I dont know how much is too much and whether to use my press to nip it up a bit - maybe less/minimum slop is ideal - I cant see how the slop could be an advantage, maybe a self aligning thing - maybe the slop/looseness is taken up first before any shifting of the pins happens, which would be a dissavantage.
New shifter shaft, with claw, is available for $122 Aud but if anybody has one that they know is in good nick, i would be interested to know how much play/slop/loosness is present.
Going to go and read though the links again and save stuff.
Thanks all for helping - Regards Ray.
P.s. Downeaster - following your Drone thread. I also follow Itchy Boots on you tube and its amazing how the drone can follow her.

Back