Kick Start Assembly

rem61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Been struggling with the kick start assembly on my 1980 xs. There's a very good video on YouTube that I watched and the guy makes it look super easy. Not so much for me. I understand there is the cam, the looped pin that fits into the case slot and the spring. After several attempts and feel the kick start assembly seated properly with the cam in the correct area but I can't kick start the motor. It's still locked up. This is a fully rebuilt engine and my first (not running yet) but I feel I installed everything correctly. The gear in the case that the kickstart assembly mates to turns without the assembly so I don't think the case gear isn't right. Although those two gears are not flush. Are they suppose to be? Attached are some photos that may or may not help. Any thoughts are appreciated as always. Maybe I'm just worked up and can't think straight, ha!
Robert
Very good video:

Attachments

• 2118.jpg
    2118.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 2119.jpg
    2119.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 2120.jpg
    2120.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 39
Thank you 5 twins. When the assembly seats properly should the assembly gear be flush with the gear it mates to in the case. Mine is slightly offset.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one. Once installed correctly, you should be able to work the kicker and turn the motor over with the cover still off, just like in that video you posted. The motor does turn over, right? You can rotate it with the nut on the end of the crank, right? If it won't then you've screwed something up when assembling it.

I'd like to add another thought to this post as I've been working on my xs over the holiday break. This post initially started with the manual kick start lever. I was having an issue with it not turning. When I pull the clutch lever in the engine kicks over, pistons are moving etc. If I put the bike in neutral the kick start lever is locked up and I can't move it. It seems logical to me that the xs can be started in neutral and if so I've got am issue going on somewhere else. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I'd appreciate any information.

Back