Clutch assembly wrong?

82bob

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have an 82 xs650 Bobber I can't get the kick starter to turn the engine after replacing clutch parts.
I go to kick it and the kick start just slides thru without turning the engine. It builds some compression. But just slides instead by.
Any ideas?
Also is the 'screw L shape' that sits on top of the pushrod 2 supposed to sit flush with the drive axle or be raised a bit

Part#23

https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004220ef8700209bc7874d4/clutch

Go on the right side pop open the round inspection/adjustment cover loosen the nut and back off the screw. Does that change the kick action? (the kick start goes through the clutch plates).
Then you need to make sure the hole in the clutch cover and the punch mark are lined up, there's only ONE correct clutch orientation.
clutch hole.jpg
clutch assembly order..jpg
Finally make sure an "extra" ball bearing hasn't snuck into the push rod assembly.

Thanks for the info I have it seated properly, I hadn't before for I minute, but now Iv got it to the point where if I put longer springs in the clutch cover it will catch. But now I'm paranoid about putting longer springs in there because I have broken a tower on the inner on the previous one putting it back together

Compare thickness of the old and new plates?
Just about any spring should be enough to kick the motor over.
IE it's prolly something else. :shrug:
Goota watch swapping parts around, the dimensions changed a few times over the years.

Back