Kickstart gear broken on transmission side

Speakas

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all

My kick start gear has broken on the transmission side as in the picture. Is it possible to replace the gear without splitting the crank case or potentially get someone to weld in some metal on the teeth?
1689589896143.png

From my understanding the e-start doesn't work off that same gear so potentially I can fix that instead if the kickstart can't be fixed? Bike never had a working e start so I never bothered to investigate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to replace the gear without splitting the crank case or potentially get someone to weld in some metal on the teeth?

You're not alone a recent poster has the same issue.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/78-or-79-first-time-owner.64495/
you have to split the cases, but you knew that.
No way to weld and shape without filling the cases with dangerous metal and abrasives.
Weld is very soft compared to those gear teeth.

Damn that's unlucky (also nice to know I'm not the only idiot with a problem)

Anyways before that I had issues trying to kickstart, where trying to kick it would jam up and I falsely believes it to be seized pistons as I had it parked up for 6 months.
But after trying to turn over on the alternator, it turned smoothly.

I'm thinking I had an issue with the Kickstarter itself as now that I've spun the clutch with the e-start, to where there is tooth on the gear I still get the problem where it jams up. Am I missing something? Clutch cable is not attached and the bike is in neutral.

Also with the e-start, my bikes a 1979 447 engine, I always assumed the pinch ring thingy was broken but it appears to be fine. Is it worth still trying to squeeze it?

79 came with the heavier clip (end not in the little niche) Prolly doesn't hurt to resqueeze it. The latest tip on the squeeze is to insert a small drill bit in the U before clamping to keep the U from getting so tight it cracks. The clip is high tensile spring steel.
:twocents: In general, with an engine in good tune, e start works without issue, if cylinders are kinda just catching, not really go fire to run, the starter is more likely to kick out, grind, and rattle.

Thanks Gary. Hopefully between the e start and the remaining fine teeth I can make do until I'm ready to do a complete rebuild of the motor.

Wait hold on, the gear with the broken teeth isn't used for anything else other than the kick start right? So it should still run and move fine?

Back