Just picked up 1977 yamaha xs650, I'm new to Yamaha and have lots of questions

second generation rider

second generation rider
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1977 xs 650 Yamaha...for free:) it sat for 10 months but seems to need only a clean up and rubber replacement. I'm new to Yamaha, this bike has 43 thousand. How many miles can I expect to get with normal city riding before I need an overhaul. Also does this model have any faults I need to watch out for?

I am also new to xs 650. There are few have reported many more miles than yours but, they do perfect maintenance. I would change all of the fluids, bleed and adjust the brakes, check out the tires, and try to start the engine. If you do all of these and it runs good enjoy but most likely you will have to clean the carburetors. Also check and clean the air filter. This is a great forum and you will receive all of the help that you need. TC

77 is probably the best year, but 46,000 is a lot of miles on these bikes. Wouldn't hurt to check compression on it before you get too invested. Oh and be careful with that kickstarter until you're sure the timing is right...nearly broke my foot.

Here are some links I use regularly:
http://dejaviews.org/xs

The things that usually break:
Starter gear
Steering head bearings
swingarm bushings
advance springs get weak
cam chain eats through the plastic guides
bottom oil screen tears
the list goes on and on...

- the key is regular oil changes-every 1500km or so...some here report over 200k km with normal maintenance and a cylinder overhaul or two...when looked after these motors are relatively bulletproof

Yup once you get 20 years old it's more condition than miles. Agree on any old unknown bike do just the minimum to get it running and see what you really have before starting a restoration or customizing. Pyro's list is a good checklist of things to look for. The good news is that it has been running in the past year. That cuts a lot of the long term not running issues out. Like all old bikes front brakes will need a careful going over and fork seals likely need replacement. The good news is that at 42,000 miles a lot of maintenance HAS been done already.

Thanks much for the advice
It's just what I needed. Second generation rider refers to the fact that my father rode bikes from 1915 to near his death in 1978, most were Harley. My brother got all the mechanical smarts and has many bikes, I'd guess 11, I on the other hand have been riding for years, I'm 58, but have never had the need to do many repairs. So, the Yamaha is a new breed for me and opens doors for gathering new knowledge about the mechanics of motorcycles. This Forum is just what the doctor ordered.
I really want this bike in top shape before I hit the rode, so am currently replacing all rubber and am making lists of everything else. Thanks for the list Pyro. I'm sure to have a lot more questions.

Thanks All.

I agree with most everyone. I might start with getting a repair manual. The factory book is best, then the Haynes, then the Clymer. Biker.net has them as a free download. Start by checking the sump filter for tears, replace or fix, I fix, clean well patch over the hole with a piece of soup can and JB weld.
While the sump plate is off feel around with a finger up in the engine, looking for bits of black plastic. If you find any, the front cam chain guide is going bad, Metal bits in the filter or the sidecover filter generally means the chain guide is already gone.
After this good fresh oil most any brand 20w50 oil will work, motorcycle specific is better.
Now you should check the cam chain tension. set the valves, check the points gap and timing. New plugs, fresh gas.
At this point you can either clean the carbs or try starting. You will probably need some carb attention, most do.
When it starts recheck the cam chain tension with the engine idling. The rod should come out to flush with the adjuster and move in and out about 1-2 mm's.
Now is a good time to check battery voltage. Before starting battery should be atleast 12.5 volts. with engine idling lights off about 12 to 12.5 volts. As you rev the engine the voltage should pick up to 14.5 at much above idle and should not go over about 14.5volts. if no rise alternator checks are in order, if to high regulator checks.
Now to the clutch. Loosen the adjuster at the lever to give plenty of freeplay. Now down on the left side cover you will find a round chrome cover. About 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Remover this cover, screwdriver slot on the bottom.
Under this cover you will find an adjustment screw with a lock nut. Lossen the nut, while holding the nut turn the screw in and out a few times to get the feel of it. Turn the screw in til you just feel resistance, then back of 1/8 to 1/4 turn, lock the nut with out losing the asdjustment. Now at the lever adjust to 1/8 to 1/4 inch freeplay.
At this point if the tires are ok. Not weather checked or no thread. you can try riding it slowly to check brake and clutch action.
I might replace and flush the front disc brakes with fresh fluid before a test ride. If it seems ok a bit faaster to check gears and handling.
As you ride it it will tell you what it needs.
Things like head bearing , swing arm bushing, wheel bearings and wheel true and balance. Drive chain and sprockets. Rear shocks front fork oil and springs.
This should get you going. Just remeber the bike is a few years old and needs some TLC, we all have had moments when we think "What have I gotten into" Don't let these thoughts deter you. You will over come the rough spots to find a bike that is a joy to own and ride. As we all have. And Welcome to the board. XSLeo

Fellow Oregon member...welcome.
I actually live in Sherwood and I too am building a street tracker.
Yes, I am done with the baggers and want to building a "fun bike with character."
In my youth I use to flat track and it's like coming home for me.
I am stoked about this project and like you I will be on a high learning curve.
My Harley friends probably won't get it but that's OK.
I am 62 years young and still love to ride!
I'll send photo's as I get more into the tear down and rebuild.
I'd be curious how yours is going and what issues you might have come up against so far?

Bob

Well it looks like you all came to the right forum ha. Like stated take it slow and don't get ahead of the bike. What I mean by that is, make sure you've done all the necessary initial checks and maintenance before jumping out onto the road. The last thing you want is a breakdown on a bike that you are still unfamiliar with.

For those of you who learn that a rebuild may be necessary there are PLENTY of posts on this forum to help you and to be honest this engine is about as easy as they come to rebuild.

If it gives you any inspiration I am 20 years old, living on a college budget and was able to rebuild the engine, and build a custom bobber from the ground up in the last 3 months.

Just got her out for her first real ride today.

Anyway the search bar is your friend, and a manual is your best friend. Almost everything you need to know can be found somewhere either here or in the book.

Good luck

I'm also in Portland and just acquired a 77' 650. Mine came to me with the loss of family member who worked on this bike on and off for years. He was nearly finished when cancer took him.

I know very little about the bike. Can remember visiting him in his garage with the case and gears spread all over the counter. He was installing new case bearings that day. At the back of the counter set a pair of new over-sized high performance pistons and sleeves, these always caught my eye during my visits.

Unknown if bike had ever been started or not. I have someone a little more 650 savvy than me looking over the bike to see whats left to work on.

The bike needs a paint job, and I've heard this can sometimes be the toughest decision. The frame is painted already, so I won't be changing that. Need ideas on paint colors for body panel and tank. I'm thinking a mix of black and red would go good with the frame. Most all components look brand new.

Check out the float bowls, they're see thru! I've never seen anything like this.

Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• DSC00922.JPG
    DSC00922.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 485
  • DSC00930.JPG
    DSC00930.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC00928.JPG
    DSC00928.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC00933.JPG
    DSC00933.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC00940.JPG
    DSC00940.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC00947.JPG
    DSC00947.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
welcome Roto. Gorgeous looking bike . Great shame to have come by it in such unfortunate circumstances but it would be a fitting tribute to finish the bike off .

Your relative certainly had an eye for finishing detail, the bike looks really stunning.:thumbsup:

Back