Run Pamco with 2 coils

Tim of DO THE TON

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So for my next build - a Voodoo Vintage framed stock XS engine bike, I'm likely going to run a Pamco with a PMA.

Honestly, this bike is 90% looks and 10% performance - I make no bones about that. This is my neighbourhood bar hopper / parking lot meetup stand-around yakking bike.

So, I'm looking at running some good old fashioned Bosch coils or something along those lines. Big, hanging there on the frame with cloth covered wires etc.

Question is... can I run 2 coils off the Pamco? I have no idea really, can't think of a reason why not, but figured seeing as all the Pamco kits specify a dual-output coil, I'd ask.

I don't see why you couldn't. For one of my BSA's I run two Lucas coils with the Boyer, it's a wasted stark as well. Just make sure they have the proper resistance rating and you should be good to go.

Pete should read this soon and reply with the right info. If you want you can send Pamcopete a pm and ask him directly or email him at www.yamahaxs650.com that's his ignition web site.
I think it should work as long as the primary side ohms are both around 5 ohms. Wired in parrellel, that's power wired to both positive's hooked together and both grounded, the ohms are devided by two. Two 5 ohm coils wired this way is a total of 2.5 ohms.
If wired in series, power to one positive, that coils negitive to the others positive, the second coil to ground, the the ohms double. Two 5's = ten ohms.
Wired in series is the way to do it.
Leo

I don't think you want 10 ohms. I thought the Pamco liked about 3.

I was just at Pete's website and the specs say 2.5 to 4.5 ohms as the coil primary side.
Two 5 ohm coils wired in parrellel will be about 2.5 ohms combined. That should work ok. As I said Pete will tell if it's ok or not.
Leo

XSLeo got it right the first time. You should be able to run two 5 Ohm coils in parallel for a combined resistance of 2.5 Ohms, which is the lower end of the spec. DO NOT GO LOWER than 2.5 Ohms or you will fry the PAMCO.

An alternative, being as it's for looks only, is to install two coils hanging in the breeze with retro looking wires going under the tank, but only use one of the coils to actually connect to the spark plugs.

Make sure that you do not try to use real cloth covered wires. Get the wires that are cloth covered over modern rubber insulation.

Of course, if this fries the PAMCO, I will come here and delete this post!!

I'm looking at coil options, How about 2 REPH504610's ( Honda Civic,one coil per plug) wired in series (2.8 ohms)? I'd have to see them in person to know if they would work cosmetically of course.

burns,

If you wire the coils in series, then they will each only get 6 volts and will not work very well at all. In my post above, I said to try running two 5 Ohm coils in parralel. That's two F-I-V-E Ohm coils in P-A-R-A-L-L-E-L SO EACH COIL WILL GET 12 VOLTS.

Back