cam guide NOT AVAILABLE anywhere?

trance

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, aparently everyone has the front cam chain guide on backorder.

MikesXS
650central
bikebandit
parts unlimited
boats.net

none of them have it at any price.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm off the road until I can get one. All the online places are telling me they come through Yamaha and that only yamaha knows when they'll be ready. :banghead:

Yep, I've got engines to build and I'm sitting in the water until they come available... All part of the charm of vintage bikes

cr*p. Looks like I'll put in that work on the frame, get it looking slick and get it powdercoated while I wait. dang. thanks though, appreciate knowing I'm not crazy. (at least about this one...)

I think you could make your own out of Teflon and put it on your old guide bar. They sell wear strips 1/8x1/2" some machine work involved but it could be done eazy enough. It machines well and could be attached with some small counter sunk screws or glue not sure about what glue would work.

I think you could make your own out of Teflon and put it on your old guide bar. They sell wear strips 1/8x1/2" some machine work involved but it could be done eazy enough. It machines well and could be attached with some small counter sunk screws or glue not sure about what glue would work.

I have visions of the Teflon parting ways or wearing down :yikes:

Has this happened before with other parts? Is there any chance that Yamaha might discontinue producing the chain guide? What happens to our engine rebuilds then?

you will have to convert to a belt drive (been done already) or come up with something else.

Posted via Mobile

you will have to convert to a belt drive (been done already) or come up with something else.

Posted via Mobile

damn...I dont like the sound of that. Has it been done to an XS before? Would that call for modifying the crank and cam shaft? Sounds like a lot of extra time and money because I can no longer buy a $30 part :thumbsdown:

yeah, have a look at dave rayners bike on the aussie 650 site. Since he did that, belt technology has come a long way, now you can use a much narrower belt than he did. For now I guess, you'll just have to either wait or scour Yammie dealers and egay. The day will certainly come when some parts will no longer be made, and we'll all just have to find a way to deal with it. Imagine how guys go getting parts for their 1912 Acme's or 1907 velociped's, I guess they just make them when they need them.

Posted via Mobile

It looks like the tensioners are still available...but you kind of need both at the same time. Its like having a car with brand new rims but no tires, you wont be going far.

Ideal would be a casting with slots that would retain the insert.

In no small measure that's why the XS is so popular, you CAN get parts and any parts that Yamaha stops making will be (already have been) repo'd by an aftermarket vender.

:cheers: to Michael LeBlonde (sp?)

Powersports Plus (part of boats.net) shows the guide in stock. http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-256-12231-01-00.html

In the past these folks have had stuff when others didn't, but they are out of the guides as well. http://www.nwvintagecycleparts.com/index.php

My #4 gear is toast, Powersports Plus had the gear but not the spring. NW Vintage Cycle had the spring.

A hint: if you are hunting something and you put the Yamaha part # in the Google search bar, it's surprising what you will see come up. :wink2:

Back