Cam Chain Guide Mod

Remember there ARE things about the airplane that don't require any checking. :) I feel comfortable thinking it just isn't practical to make the cables not require checking. So it opens up that little risk of what if the checking isn't done...

I've also argued that controversial magazine safeties in pistols are a good thing..because idiots do get ahold of pistols too. The other side's argument is you don't need a magazine safety unless you're an idiot, which is true.

Anyway, are you going to make these available? What kind of time and how much? I don't know Mike's status on them but availability has a history of coming and going.

Last edited:
.....going to make these available?
No plans to at this time. This is basically a "how to" for anyone to do their own. All the dimensions and instructions are there. And it's a pretty easy mod to do. If I ever run across some 'cores' I might do a few one offs.. but that will be hit and miss.

Just posting here to document that I have done the mod and am installing it now for a second time. I do have to note (from experience) to make sure you shave off enough of the spine to get the locknuts to fully thread and lock. I noticed from pictures after my first install that mine were not as fully threaded as they ought be, so I am currently back in to make sure i do it right this time
07A2C2E6-4758-40E0-8E67-4AE2D6285D90.jpeg

Also used red loctite on cleaned surfaces for good measure.

I have a small handful of the nuts I’ll send if anyone needs them. Unfortunately I don't have the screws which are the expensive parts.

I still have the screws (hi-loks) if anyone needs 'em.

I’ve got one of Jim’s “frankenguides” (essentially an SR500 guide mounted on a bare XS650 metal guide “shoe”) and it really is a beautiful part that seems to solve one of the few significant durability problems of the XS650 engine.

...therefore, an ongoing supply would definitely be a good thing.....;)

....ahhhmmmm jest sayin’.....

Gary Hoos ( @hooser ) has had some new front guides made that by all accounts are identical to the OEM's. At 30 bucks shipped, they're probably a good alternative for anyone unable or not wanting to do this mod. So I'll add this link to his guides for anyone who's interested.

new front quide stopper.jpg

Guess I should update this thread...
The SG motor I installed the modded guide in is coming up on 5yrs and about 5k miles now.

No problems with the guide. View attachment 241941

That Jim - he does good work!

Cheers,

Pete

The rivets, they are comforting.

Yes the additional security and durability provided by Jim's SR500-modded timing chain guide is comforting but I will say, based on my experience with Lucille, that even if the plastic guide falls completely off the aluminium guide "shoe", the bike will continue to run well enough to get you home (in my case more than 80 km).

That good ole' XS650, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Yes the additional security and durability provided by Jim's SR500-modded timing chain guide is comforting but I will say, based on my experience with Lucille, that even if the plastic guide falls completely off the aluminium guide "shoe", the bike will continue to run well enough to get you home (in my case more than 80 km).

That good ole' XS650, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.
They are indeed, built like a tank...overbuilt, if you will. 👍

Back