Bobber Build

Benjamoid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I had a build on 650 rider before it went away, finally workin on the bike again after. Quick sum up, bought it blown up like this:
xs2.jpg

Tore it apart, sold everything but frame, motor, front end, and harness. Then got my cbr600 wheels, and sportster tank.
utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDUtMjAwOTEwMjMtMTc1M.jpg

Thats where the frame is right now, once the motor is built I will start on it again.

Got the motor torn apart, and found a hole in the piston. Its going back together, I can only sneak $50 bucks a paycheck so the wife won't notice :D I got used pistons, and used cam, probibally gonna upgrade my ignition since appaerntly stock sucks. Working on the port and polish right now, then it will go back together.

Here it is in its current state, patiently awaiting more parts:
utf-8BSU1HMDA0NTAtMjAxMDA2MjgtMTMxN.jpg

What year is it? Stock electronic ignition is fine. 80+. Those CBR wheels fit in the stock fork and swingarm?

Its an 81, special II.

Kinda, and no lol. The front wheel bearings are the wrong size so I need to replace those and them get some spacers to center the wheel. The rivets that hold the rotor to the rotor mount are very close to the forks, like mabey 1 mm:yikes: I will probibally just grind a hair off my forks right there to gain a little more clearance.

The rear does not fit, I just left the swingarm on for now so I can move the bike around. I will be building the hardtail to accomodate the rear wheel, the axle will be solid, and I will use a chain tensioner to keep the chain tight. Kinda like this guy:

http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/05/uhh-xs650-chop-of-course/#more-3264

That bike is kinda my inspiration for this build...

Gotcha. Cool. I've seen that bike. I like the look of those wheels. I painted my stock mags black. I liked the results. How about a complete fork swap? Maybe more costly though :confused: I like the way your going. Good luck. As for your ignition, keep it if it works. Very dependable.:thumbsup:

Good to know about the ignition before I spent money on it! I have thought about fork swaps, but then I wil have to get into bearing sizes in the tree and all that stuff. Not to mention the cost, probibally $500+ for a new fork assy...

Well I decided that swapping those wheels into that frame and making everything work was going to be more work then I was interested in doing. So I sold the wheels, and have started acquiring stock parts again. Got an xs1100 front wheel with both slotted rotors, and full xs1100 dual disk hydraulic setup in the mail. Elswick 0 stretch, 2in drop is next to get ordered. Hopefully in a month or so.

Lol, ya it was a bit uncomfortable...

Figured I would post this on mhere too, since this build is taking so long I decided to get a temporary bike so I can ride... Its not an xs, but it is still a 650 twin...

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzUtMjAxMDEwMDYtMTkxNS5qcGc.jpg

Well I started assembly on the motor today. First thing was to reseal the lower parts.

Pulled the sump cover and found this:
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTQtMjAxMDExMTctMTQwNi5qcGc.jpg

Looks like I will be ordering a sump filter before I start it...

Then I cleaned, and started assembly...Before:
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTUtMjAxMDExMTctMTUyOC5qcGc.jpg

Put the pistons on the rods first, then lowered the jugs down, and very carefully and by hand popped all the rings in(took 2 people and about half an hour):
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTctMjAxMDExMTctMTU1Mi5qcGc.jpg

Last thing today was to install the tensioner parts and lower the head down:
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTktMjAxMDExMTctMTYyNC5qcGc.jpg

It has been over a year since I bought the bike and tore it apart, Im pretty extited for progress finally!!

More progress tomorrow, hope to get the cam, chain, and rocker box on in my free time at work.

Well I got it all done today, at least for now.

First thing was to put the cam in and timed. It was pretty easy, forgot to take a pic of it though. Next was the rocker box:
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjAtMjAxMDExMTgtMTQ0MC5qcGc.jpg

Got it on and all torqued down. Then adjust the valves, clean the years of grit off a few parts that were sitting at the bottom of my parts box and install all the valve covers, and cam caps:
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjEtMjAxMDExMTgtMTcxNS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjItMjAxMDExMTgtMTcxNi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjMtMjAxMDExMTgtMTcxNi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjQtMjAxMDExMTgtMTcxNi5qcGc.jpg

That is how it will sit for a while, still have to pc the side covers, but that will happen aftr im done taking the motor in and out of the frame during the next few months... Also I cant decide what to do about the chrome cam caps, originally I was thinking either black to match the block, or sand them down like the valve covers, but im kinda diggin the chrome, it goes with all my shiny new bolts and oil feed tube. Thoughts?

Small progress today, got my xs850 rotor saturday. Cleaned, plainted, and resurfaced today. Btw resurfacing a sloted rotor on a brake lathe is a major PITA!!! And I still have to do 2 more for my xs1100 front brakes :doh:

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTAtMjAxMDExMjItMTQ0OS5qcGc.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious, what did you paint the cylinder and head with. I'm about to do mine and was planning on using rustoleum high temp engine paint.
Greg

Thats what I used. Rustoleum Engine Enamel, 500 degree. Satin black. No idea how its gonna hold up as I have not ran the engine yet, but I figure if im at 500 degrees I will have a few other problems then my paint...

Update too:
Got all my brake rotors, and calipers cleaned/rebuilt and repainted. Wheels and here, also painted with new rubber installed, just waitin for hardtail...... Oh ya, im ordering my hardtail from elswick today or tomorrow, as soon as I hear back from him on a few specifics.:D So hopefully in about a month I will have it!

Well after a month and a half my elswick hardtail showed up today!!! Hopefully I will get it burned on tomorrow evening and have a roller!

I went with their standard hardtail, 2in stretch, 4in rideheight. The quality looks awesome! I will find out tomorrow how well it fits, im sure it will be perfect though.

Well it fit perfect! I asked him to have the new upper bars mount as low as possible to lessen my seat angle and boy did he get it right there! I couldn't be happier with the quality of this thing, its just tacked on right now(all I have is mig at home, and I want it tig welded) but it should be on tomorrow evening, rolling around, possibly with a motor installed...

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODMtMjAxMTAyMTAtMTg1OC5qcGc.jpg

Well I got it welded on, looks great with wheels! I think the 2in stretch is perfect!

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODUtMjAxMTAyMTEtMTgyNi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODYtMjAxMTAyMTEtMTgzNy5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjQtMjAxMTAyMTEtMTgzMi5qcGc.jpg

Now, gotta transport it home and start building everything else.

Back