Hughs PMA or My Wiring Not Charging

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
Just finished up my rephase project, got everything tightened up and took it for about 10 miles. Was riding at night with the headlight on and it cut out around the 7 mile mark at a stoplight. I turned all the lights off and was able to kick it to run, but it would only run at about half speed and cut out if I ever let off the throttle. Was able to putt home with no lights and holding the throttle open.

At first I thought I blew the crank seal, oil sprayed on the PMA and it couldn't charge. Well, I have since investigated and it was bone dry. I checked all the fuses and everything is good. The battery is a new Shorai and should be fine.

I am thinking I was running the whole time on the battery and the PMA was never recharging it. I don't know how to troubleshoot or test really. I just drew how my setup is wired. The 20amp is perfectly fine. The only thing I will say about the install is that when I got the kit, I got a female connector from Hugh instead of a male. So instead of wiring up the connection like in his instructions I just soldered on Male connectors and inserted them into the female.

Anyone have tips on how to see if my setup is charing and its just the wiring? Could it be something else? Any help would be great.

:cheers:

5BXFw.png

Just finished up my rephase project, got everything tightened up and took it for about 10 miles. Was riding at night with the headlight on and it cut out around the 7 mile mark at a stoplight. I turned all the lights off and was able to kick it to run, but it would only run at about half speed and cut out if I ever let off the throttle. Was able to putt home with no lights and holding the throttle open.

At first I thought I blew the crank seal, oil sprayed on the PMA and it couldn't charge. Well, I have since investigated and it was bone dry. I checked all the fuses and everything is good. The battery is a new Shorai and should be fine.

I am thinking I was running the whole time on the battery and the PMA was never recharging it. I don't know how to troubleshoot or test really. I just drew how my setup is wired. The 20amp is perfectly fine. The only thing I will say about the install is that when I got the kit, I got a female connector from Hugh instead of a male. So instead of wiring up the connection like in his instructions I just soldered on Male connectors and inserted them into the female.

Anyone have tips on how to see if my setup is charing and its just the wiring? Could it be something else? Any help would be great.

:cheers:

5BXFw.png

Measure the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine idling and at 3000 rpm.

The three wires that come out of the PMA back to the reg/rect were disconnected. :stupid:

Apologies for the false alarm amigos!

Hi
Looking at your wiring diagram, my pma system doesn't have a fuse on the postive from the reg/rec to the battery. Should I have one?:shrug:

I would definitely run a 20A fuse. Will save that ass if anything goes haywire. Just go to your local autoparts store and pickup a single blade fuse holder. It will have the wires on it already and most likely a 20A fuse already in it.

The fuse between the reg/rec and battery is optional. Where you need the 20 amp main fuse is between the battery/reg/rec and the rest of the wiring.
The way you have it, if your fuse blows your reg/rec has no control over the voltage and the voltage will go very high and fry things you don't want hurt.
Leo

I know this is an old thread but...getting a PMA soon...and where would you put a 20 amp fuse (xsleo) if your listening..lol. my 78 standard has a pamco already and everything else is stock wiring..just wondering..thanks

Ok, hook the positive from the reg/rec to the battery positive, Now hook a wire from battery positive to a 20 amp fuse. From this fuse wire everything else.
The purpose of the main fuse is to protect as much of the electrical system from the power source as it can. On most bikes the alternator through the reg/rec and the battery are the power source.
On a PMA the load on the reg/rec from the battery or cap helps the reg/rec control the output voltage. If this load gets interrupted the reg/rec can go uncontrolled and send out voltage spikes up to 20 volts.
Putting a fuse between the battery and reg/rec if it blows the reg/rec looses that load. Then come the voltage spikes.
On the stock charging system having a fuse there isn't such a problem but is still more risky than having it between the reg/rec, battery and the rest of the electrical system. On any bike I rewire I hook the reg/rec straight to the battery then hook on a fuse to the battery then to the rest of the electrical system.
Leo

Quick response thanks..maybe I'm already good then...still have stock harness with a twenty amp fuse(stock)...haven't ordered PMA yet just doing homework now..I know from the wiring instructions the reg/rec goes to pos terminal then I believe I have cable from pos terminal to that 20 amp fuse under side cover so I guess I'd be good

Back