Dimensions of Brass Swing Arm Bushings

Lester

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a lathe and a bunch of brass and I would like to turn out my own swingarm bushings... Does anybody have a set not installed yet that they can measure and give me the dimentions in millimeters??? I am particularly interrested in the collar thick and inside diameter, but all dimensions are wellcome.
When I get this info I can make a CAD drawing and post for all to have in the future

Thanks.

Lester

Thanks hotdog!

PDF comming up.... I'll measure the sleave this weekend to get the clearance settled.
Also the ID of the swingarm pivot tubing

Have a good weekend
Lester

Perfect - you got it.
The only other thing it has is an internal grease spiraled groove, at 13.3mm per 360' of rotation (pitch) - so three rotations over the 40mm length.

Yes grease grooves are a good idea.
Approx how deep are they... pointed or flat????

any thing will do readlly.... lol

I'll do some editing to my drawing and repost the PDF on monday

Cheers

I wouldn't think a grease groove would actually NEED to be very deep. given the wall thickness, I'd say 1.0 MM max. Flat with radiused corners or a radiused profile would make the most sense to me. I'm not an engineer, but I do fight with a few on a monthly basis!

What would be the best material to use to make these? I also have a full machine shop and I had planned to make these up for myself, so now that the Measurements and drawings are here, there in no reason I shouldn't do this immediately.

I have Brass, Bronze, Sintered Bronze, Various grades of Marine Bronze, Bearing Bronze SAE 660, Copper etc.

I also have about 30 pounds of various Oilite bronze bushings (oil impregnated) that I could remachine to the proper dimensions, but this is a P.I.T.A. because the oil leaches out with the heat generated during machining and the tool then slides instead of cutting. (I made 600 bushings for a co. doing CNC machines, and found the best thing to do is a continuous cut to the exact proper depth with a sharp tool)

What Material?

What's the best balance of abrasion resistance, hardness, and machinability? I would think that any decent bearing bronze would be fine. Oilite bushings would probably be my choice if I did not have a grease fitting, but that's me.

Quickj I would stay away from the copper all other materials you mentioned as fine. I pulled the swingarm off the wifes bike yesterday... the original fiber bushings are fine and the bike has 22000km on it. Don't fix it if its not broken...

When turning and boring brass/bronze I always found negative raked cutting edge to be absoult essential to get the finish right, espesially bronze oilite. The best cutters for this was ground in house... hard metal siver solder on the cutting tool holder. Old school stuff but really did trick. I'm sure there are especially made inserts for brass machining with negative rake, check it up, save machining time and be a hero at work.

I'm pulling off my Swingarm sometime this week... the bike has 68000km on it... I'll let you know how they look... maitanace is a huge faktor here not only milage.

Last edited:
I'm pulling off my Swingarm sometime this week... the bike has 68000km on it... I'll let you know how they look... maitanace is a huge faktor here not only milage.

Lester,
I pulled mine yesterday. After cleaning all the Grease, oil and dirt off the exterior and inspection of the arm, tube, and axle, I Don't feel I need to replace anything at this time (other then the grease seals)

quickj,

you could get these.... only $12,99... what a bargain!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWINGARM-COVERS-CAPS-1981-YAMAHA-XS650-81-XS-650-/380496490608?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AXS&hash=item58975bb070&vxp=mtr

Amazing what people sell.... that should be given free to the rubbish bin!

Lester,
Yup, Seen those when I was researching swingarms on eBay. I am thinking I would like to do a mono shock street tracker, using either a stock swingarm (I have a couple) that is properly braced, or a swingarm from something like an XT550 (or similar). I have only been looking through the Yamaha swingarms, but I might start looking through other makes. I plan to use one of my spare VStar (Dragstar on your side of the ocean) 650 monoshocks.

here is an updated drawing guys.
I decided to just add the grease groove details as a note.... easier understood.
Saw the bushings on Ebay for quite a bit of money. I you feel ike you have saved some money and want to express your appreciation, send me some shop related stickers for my tool cabinet. If not no worries, I enjoy sharing. :thumbsup:

Best of luck
Lester

View attachment 650 SwingArm Bushing.pdf
Revision 2

Back