What tires for a restoration?

shawn00sa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What tires would look appropriate on my bike. I am keeping it stock looking. 1972 XS.

I plan on making it a driver and want to put some miles on it but yet keep tires cool. Any suggestions?

CONTI-2480220000_300.jpg

Conti Twins

bodyparts-dunlop-motorcycle-tires-retro-vintage-tt100-k70-front-black.jpg

Dunlop K70

Never ran the Attack, (or Classic Attack, didn't know about it!) but I have the Conti Motion radials on my SV and they are outstanding tires with great handling and mileage. Radial performance without paying the "race bred" price, since it was created as an everyman tire. Not supersport, not sport tour, just a good solid sport sized radial. I still drag the hard parts with them with no problem, and they work well in the wet. Sorry it does not relate to your question, but I was pleasantly surprised with the tires. I bought them based on a couple of magazine reviews that hated them for the track (not what they were made for) but could not find a fault in them on the road. Very smooth runners. I won't be "trying" another tire on the SV.

I run the K70s on my XS1B, period correct, great for the Texas hill country backroads, rough roads, gravel roads, and algae slimed creek crossings. They're ok for the highway, but not as great as the newer technology tires. Another 2¢.

After thinking about it and deciding that this winter I will make its cafe racer I went with the conti classic attack. Sould be in on Friday or Monday.

Thanks for the 2 cents

Very interested in how the Conti Classic Attacks work for you. Wondering what year XS you have, and if you're running stock rim widths. Typically radials require a wider rim than the stock 1.85" front and 2.15" rear widths on my '76 so I'm really interested in what you think about them. Running BT45's now and while they work fine, the rear will be down to the wear bars in about 500 miles- giving me 3500 miles of tire life.

Very interested in how the Conti Classic Attacks work for you. Wondering what year XS you have, and if you're running stock rim widths. Typically radials require a wider rim than the stock 1.85" front and 2.15" rear widths on my '76 so I'm really interested in what you think about them. Running BT45's now and while they work fine, the rear will be down to the wear bars in about 500 miles- giving me 3500 miles of tire life.

Mine is 72 and yes I am running stock rims. I just got the Classic Attacks mounted up today. I only put about 5 miles on them but they seem great so far. MUCH different than the ones I took off, but those were 31 years old.

Here is what I took of and then the new ones mounted.

941149_10200923122456997_701394198_n.jpg

580192_10200923124457047_1132165881_n.jpg

1013388_10200923128937159_1094923155_n.jpg

9401_10200923129257167_190540289_n.jpg

1013443_10200923129377170_1043718716_n.jpg

I would start with 33 psi front and rear. I use that pressure as my default on my HawkGT with Michelin Pilot Road 3 radials, my SRX600 running BT45's, and my XS, also running BT45's.

The 33 front and rear sounds reasonable, (these ARE radial tires, after all) but I would try to get in contact with Continental for a recommendation on correct pressure to develop the characteristics intended for the tire. In my opinion, the pressures in the owner's manual are too low for a modern bias ply tire supporting this weight class.

Hey Shawn- Any update on the tires? The Bridgestone BT45 rear on my 76 is nearing the wear bars. Front is still good and is just 18 months old so I'll likely get just a rear BT45 this time and replace both next time but I am curious how they're working for you.

Hi Shawn- a month on, are you still liking the tires? I assume you have the stock 1.85" x 19" front rim and 2.15" x 18" rear? I'll likely get a replacement BT45 this weekend since the front is still good, but next set will likely be the Classic Attacks if reviews are good. My rear BT45 is close to the wear bars in the center at about 3600 miles- not great mileage.

On tire pressure, set it what ever you think is right. To check and see if it's right take it for a ride. At least 15 miles at highway speeds. Pull over and check the pressure. It should go up 10%. The tires warm up as you ride it. it takes at least 15 miles to get them fully warmed up.
If your pressure goes up more than 10% your cold pressure is to low. If it doesn't go up 10% your cold pressure is too high.
If the pressure in crease is wrong let the tires cool off, about 45 minutes, adjust the pressure and ride some more, check pressure, cool adjust. It may take a few tries to find what pressure you need.
All tires are different and need different pressures. The same tire on different bikes need different pressures. Riding two up needs different pressures. Usually 4 or 5 psi more on the rear.
Leo

Back