Left side carb leak, popping, new float bowl.

Leejin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my float bowl's drain plug threads busted so I ordered a new one. It didn't come with this long pin/jet thing.. I threw the carb on and it leaks fuel.. The site I usually use to check my carb's parts is down right now.

I can get my bike started, but fuel just drips from the left carb. If I lean it sideways.. it will like. FLOW out really fast. I'm thinking ruptured floats or something.

Here is the older bowl.. what is the long pin? I tried to remove it to no avail..
7o6UdVe.jpg

Edit.. i forgot to add; I THINK these are BS38s, from a 78.. But my bike is registered as a 72.. No idea. So sorry.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what that needle us, or if it's required for normal operation? I can't seem to remove it from the old bowl.

Don't bother, it won't do anything in the new bowl. That is the overflow tube for when or if the fuel level gets too high in the bowl. It sounds like the new bowl you got is the '78-'79 version. It did not have that tube nor did it have the nipple on the bowl bottom to let the overflowing fuel out. Like I said, that tube won't do anything in your new bowl even if you did manage to put it in there.

That's not a '78 carb bowl you're holding in your hand there, it's a '76-'77 bowl. Show me a picture of your carb set and I can probably tell you the year they're from. I would need to see the intake side where the air filter mounts. It's possible to fit the bowl you're holding to a '78-'79 carb set but it's not the proper one for it.

That's not a '78 carb bowl you're holding in your hand there, it's a '76-'77 bowl. Show me a picture of your carb set and I can probably tell you the year they're from. I would need to see the intake side where the air filter mounts. It's possible to fit the bowl you're holding to a '78-'79 carb set but it's not the proper one for it.

Oh no... would that cause the popping and fuel leaking?

Take it apart and check the needle seat.

Does the bowl gasket look ok.

If you shut the fuel off, does it still leak.

You could always switch bowls side to side and see if the leak follows.

Take it apart and check the needle seat.

Does the bowl gasket look ok.

If you shut the fuel off, does it still leak.

You could always switch bowls side to side and see if the leak follows.

I'm hopefully going to have some time to work on it tonight..

But it never leaked from the gasket. I remember my carb leaking only a little before the swap.. Now, the intake just dumps fuel out.. As long as fuel is in the line.

Back