Has anybody had problems with the Cam Chain Guides from MikesXS?

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Has anybody had any problems with the MikesXS cam chain Guides? I heard a rumor that some were bad. Just want to verify before sticking one in my motor. I hope this is just a rumor.

Some have had trouble with the threads in the mount holes. I'd be going OEM on something the motor has to come out for. They were out of stock everywhere last year but more are out there.
$0.02

I bought a Mikes guide last year haven't used it yet, but I agree I will use an OEM guide on an engine I'm keeping. The mikes threads were poor, holes weren't as deep as the stocker, the guide was of poor fit and finish compared to an OEM. I deepened the mount holes and recut (chased) the threads.

cam guide.jpg

paint 001.JPG

I'll let you guess which is which.....

Last edited:
Ya know for every bad one there's probably 100 good ones. It's just hit or miss with these high quality china made cam chain tensioners.
I got one from xs650 direct and it was fine. Seems like there are more complaints from the US guys. Prolly more US guys with 650's I guess.

In 2012 Mikes was out so I got an OEM unit from bikebandit.com. It was near $60. If you buy one from mikes it would be a great idea to follow the above members lead and drill the holes deeper and re thread- maybe even helicoil.

i just installed a mikesxs guide. torqued to spec with no issues. haven't run the motor yet but i don't see why there would be a problem at this point. however, i've had issues with other mikesxs part's threads... (ie. aluminum rocker shaft plug, lower fork damper retaining bolts, etc.)

I just replaced my OEM guide with one that came from MikesXS (ordered from 650 Central) and am not too pleased. I've only put about 100 miles on the bike since I got it back together and it's showing signs of failure already. Now I have not torn the engine down again so I don't know 100% what going on in there but I've got small bits of plastic and tiny pieces of aluminum in the oil filter (as it did before) and it sound just like it did before I replaced it. I will be trying to hunt down an OE guide soon and will gladly pay a little more for it if it lasts for more than 100 miles lol.

I just replaced my OEM guide with one that came from MikesXS (ordered from 650 Central) and am not too pleased. I've only put about 100 miles on the bike since I got it back together and it's showing signs of failure already. Now I have not torn the engine down again so I don't know 100% what going on in there but I've got small bits of plastic and tiny pieces of aluminum in the oil filter (as it did before) and it sound just like it did before I replaced it. I will be trying to hunt down an OE guide soon and will gladly pay a little more for it if it lasts for more than 100 miles lol.

It could be old particles still in the system. I wouldn't tear it down. If you just did the top end left over bits can show up. Next oil change should be better. Not saying it is good or bad. Readjust the cam chain.

I have one here - it wont be going in my motor.
The guide material seemed way too soft for my liking, I can easily depress my thumb nail into it - a long way.

I don't think it old material. I had that engine torn down to nothing and cleaned every inch of it, I'm kind of anal about that (drove the guy helping me nuts lol). Like Hotdog said the rubber like material seemed really soft, but I was comparing it to a 33 year old piece of plastic that I'm sure was harder than when it was new. I did replace the chain too and everything was nice and quiet for the first 40-50 miles and then gradually got louder and louder. I was checking and adjusting the chin tension and valves clearance about every other day trying to fix it. I'm riding out to the apple orchard this weekend and plan to change the oil after that, I'll let ya know how it looks.

I just got one through xs650 central who sells the mike axis unit. Great service by the way. He warned me on how pore quality the guides were and I thought ok May be I'll have to chase the threads or something but it's the nylon skid. The material feels as soft as my skate shoe sole. It's not going to last 5 minuts. It's already delaminating and is just all round crapy. Get the OEM.

Back