SHORT and LONG CONRODS - 447/533 DEBATE

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
While waiting for parts for my number one engine to arrive I worked on engine two. One is a 533 with long conrods, two is a 447 with short conrods. Over a cup of tea and a slice of cake I pondered, as I often do, why did Mr Yamaha make two versions? and what advantages are there having longer or shorter conrods? The pistons are longer for the 447 so I was puzzled.

Anlaf

Good question Anlaf! Negligable differences likely. 533: long rod (slightly heavier), short piston (slightly lighter), less rotational friction of wrist pin/bushing:shrug:

Maybe a difference in the oil groove on the bottom of the rod? Or even a difference in the under side of piston/oil holes

BTW- Pure speculation, I've never had a 533 rod or piston in hand to inspect:(

Nonclow, I will take some pics later - I happen to have both piston types out at the moment.

I just can't understand which the shorter conrod 447 for the US is different for the 533 European variant, hmmm! Come on Mr Yamaha, tell us why.

Anlaf

Wow! I had to duck down behind my bike and nearly spilt my tea. Bit heated, eh! Cosine of 10 degrees and tanging this and that - so not much in it after all. It was a joke by Mr Yamaha to get people at each other's throats (but not me, thank Goodness!).

Anlaf

Back