Clutch pushrods seem too long?

arnoldt

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Bought my bike 1980 with the PO saying the clutch was "locked up". When using the kicker or starter, the pistons won't turn. The clutch is stuck open, but only when the left side cover is put on. I've put new plates on, new springs, and replaced the shifter springs. I've read this
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143
and this
http://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/xs650-clutch-assembly/

and everything seems to be right. My pressure plate index marks are lined up. Worm gear in the proper position, well lubed, and seats back all the way. It almost seems like there's an extra ball in the pushrod set-up, but I know that's wrong. So I've been able to start the bike with the left cover off, but it won't turn over with it on cause it engages the clutch. I'm just kinda sorta confused hah. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks

The small side's out. From the end of the rod to the seal is about 1 7/8". Thanks for the replies. I actually just noticed that the set screw type adjuster the adjusts the ball on the worm gear was broken off, or threaded all the way in, and no lock nut. I didn't even know there was an adjuster. I think I've got it figured out. Seeing as one of the shift selector springs was broken off the PO probably tightened the adjuster all the way in thinking something was wrong with the clutch not allowing him to get into gears easily. Does the 1 7/8" seem like the right length for the rod to be showing?

Ya I adjusted it out but the screw's all messed up. Need to find a new one, but I think it fixed the problem!

The adjuster screw presses on a 5/16 inch steel ball that presses on the end of the rod. I don't know where you might find the adjuster screw. I might pick up a whole adjuster of Ebay, start at $25 shipped, or some such place or get a new adjuster from Mike's, $51.
I have one of his and it has a lever with two attachment holes for the cable. The inner hole pulls a bit harder but works the clutch better. The outer hole pulls easier but don't work the clutch as well.
The ones on Ebay if you look and compare you will see some have long arms, some short arms. The short arms open the clutch more, this improves the clutch action.
If you have a short arm Buy a long arm. Or if you have a long buy a short. Compare and see the difference.
Leo

Last edited:
Back