just wondering about this bike

oskarbt

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm very new to motorcycling, just passed my MSF course last month. i've been looking at motorcycles for the past 3 months and it seems the more i look, the more confused i get. but i stumbled upon this xs650 on craigslist and i since i dont have any friends who ride, i don't know where else to ask for help.

this is the ride:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcy/4254598521.html

if anyone could give their opinion on it, i would be hugely appreciative. does the price seem ok? also, what questions would be best to ask the seller when i meet him hopefully this weekend.

also, would this bike be a good choice for a beginner. i have almost no mechanical knowledge, but i would be very happy to start learning, but would a bike like this be too much of a learning curve?

thanks,

oskar

Oskar, Welcome! The bike appears to be a pretty good example of the species. It is however thirty some years old. It will need things. That's not necessarily bad, it depends on your expectations. If you are looking for a bike to be reliable from day one, transportation first and love affair second then this might not be the right choice. On the other hand XS's are great bikes and give back more than they take. If you're willing to learn as you go. Any number of ten year old Hondas will be reliable transportation but none will give you a relationship like the XS Yamaha.

Define your goals and the answer will appear. Good luck!

roy

that looks to be a very nice bike. but if as you say, you have no mechanical knowledge. i mite pass and go with a much newer bike.even the finest xs is going to take some wrenching to keep it going day to day.

if as you say yu want to learn then it mite be a very good bike to learn on. lots of guys here started with bikes that didnt even run and were in much worse shape. i started with a old triumph in a bucket. i wish i had run across a xs first. the knowledge here is boundless and includes about anything you need to keep it running.but its not always easy.

uh...for you, no.
Save a grand and put a down payment on a new import. My xs was in boxes with a busted piston. It Has been quite the challenge.
Before I got my xs up n running ,I bought a then new 2003 suzi marauder, Super dependable, easily modified. I have over 17,000 miles on it, trouble free, just basic maintenance and upgraded clutch, modified exhaust/intake.
My xs runs great now, but it was a four year road getting it to the point of just jumping on and going. Even at this point, it still needs constant tinkering, Adjusting carbs, maintaining clutch, these bikes deffinately have a personality to each one. Specificaly, starting procedures. Mine is a two kick now, but took a while for me to learn what she wanted to start easily. And no, you didn't read that wrong. Most of the guys here would agree, even though we all have xs650's here, each one is VERY different.
Get a new bike for dependable running, and a project bike to learn to maintane your new one.
I don't meen to detour you, but it is what it is, and this isn't the first bike for everyone.
I don't know you from jack, maybe you could be the one? Maybe you have the golden wrench? you never know till you try, but think about it first.
Congrats on your course!
P.S. my two cents.

You haven't told us anything about yourself so I will assume you are young, (passed bike course).

Some good points above.

angus67 has rebuilt a basket case so the time taken and problems reflect that, major mechanical skills required for his project.

Because i have no idea of your situation i will give a couple of answers based on different scenarios.

Make sure this bike has a title............ It has been for sale for over 3 weeks????????? maybe soneone else can comment on that

The XS650 has the best aftermarket support of any bike of its age, for new aftermarket parts and mechanical and technical help through this site. Many a person has come on here with no mechanical skills and striped and rebuilt engines with directions and reference to informational posts on here, XS650.com.

1: If you are reasonably financial and regular income. I would consider the bike and keep it in its original condition. If it is as ride-able as the seller suggests you may get away with regular maintenance with mechanical work on parts that need renewing or upgrading as time goes by. This could be as much as $500-$600 for the first couple of years. The bike looks to be in good condition so if you do find things are getting to much then getting your money back and maybe more in the future is assured.

2; If you have the money buy this bike for a learning experience, (do not chop it up), and buy your self another later model bike or your runner while you work and learn on this one. Again if it is kept in original condition you will have no trouble getting your money back.

There is a train of thought that the charging system is useless and needs to be replaced because it is not reliable. This is :bs: there are many bikes running around reliably on the old charging system and it can be cheaper to fix the charging system than buy an aftermarket one. Points system works, there is an art to it, (lost because of modern electronic systems), and once mastered is quite simple. There is a good aftermarket Electronic system, (pamco), but for cost sake not necessary.

You need a space that is conducive for working on a bike, Minimum lean to, preferably a shed. Shed is better for security and working out of the weather.

Here are some links to read, the first 2 are specific for buying a bike and relate to what to look for when buying a bike

Guide to Buying - Get to Know your bike, a checklist for the condition of your find

troubleshooting

The next 3 links give you an idea what is on this site and the type of information/help that you will get and need.

Expanded charging system guide

What happens when you turn your key on.

Bike wont start?, Running rough?

Good luck on your decision.

You are in Brooklyn so things may be higher than elsewhere.
How did you do an MSF course in New York in December???? brrr.

The bike you are looking at.
I consider myself to be a maven at reading the unsaid in Craigslist ads LOL Here's some of what I think from the ad and pics,
He did not re-jet the carbs when he replaced the rusted out original mufflers with the shortys. Those pipes are both loud and low restriction. A holed piston is just a matter of time...
Since he did not say he did the "list" there is a laundry list of "old XS maintenance" that has not been done and will need to be done before you can "trust" that bike (or any 35 year old bike)
I will guess that is a garage sitter bike he found and "got running" this means no end of shortcuts were taken. The front tire is ancient and should not be ridden on, it's hard as a rock and probably has cracks down to the cords. Can't see the rear but???? IF he's been riding on that tire it says a LOT about what else he left undone. Really, there's a list in tech but; tires, chain & sprockets, head bolt re-tighten, carb overhaul, steering bearings, swing arm bushings. Petcock overhauls, Electrical 101 everywhere including ignition update, fork oil, and dust seals. Sump filter replacement. New air filter elements. Front brake overhaul with new brake lines pistons and seals.

From the condition it's not way out of line price wise but will need at least a grand worth of work and parts to be reliable. I'm with the other guys, a newer and maybe smaller bike is much better "first bike" especially in an unforgiving city environment where even a minor hiccup can be a big (expensive) ordeal.

Welcome in! Yes the XS650 may be the best supported old bike in the world but you have to know what you are getting into.
Time of year is on your side, SELLING not always asking prices are cheap as they get, careful ad watching and "Asking around" at work, school, friends, family, church, will find you a great "starter bike."

Please; let us know what you decide and why???

Just an example; I just bought a 2003 V star 650 classic, garage (dry shed anyways) kept, 2500 original miles. Very motivated female owner leaving the state. I will have at least 40 hours and $500 into that bike before it's a reliable go anywhere machine. Petcock and carbs were dripping, I rebuilt the petcock with new parts, then got the carbs out last night. Bubba has been there, damn it! Speedo cable was mis-routed so lots of issues under the tank, carbs; burred screws, missing and unhooked vacuum lines. Silicone seal showing at the carb gaskets. I'll have 6, 7 hours and ?$ of parts in just the carbs. And this is a near new "cream puff" LOL.
Shh don't tell but I paid $2000 for the V star, I think it will be a 3000 or 3500 bike at prime spring season (first warm week in April)

Look for a motivated seller. It's not that tough. My son bought a very nice full dress 850 Suzuki, needing the usual, for 1100. Tires and tune he rode it all summer, including a road trip. My daily driver Virago I have 1000 dollars in, after the tires and little things. These are decent bikes. This year I will be finally using my xs650 trike the most. My grandson's SR250 Yamaha, really decent and low mileage, cost 800. A 2000 Yamaha V-Star is the same bike as a 2008 V-Star. If you find the 2000 with low miles and taken care of, it's half the money of a worn 2008. You can search the net seemingly forever, the world is a big place. And this is buyer season, tough to sell. I would not personally, here in Iowa, pay anywhere near what he's asking. That bike is stock appearing so those mufflers weren't replaced because he didn't like the sound or looks. They were replaced because the stockers were rotten. As the XS had good quality pipes from the factory, that speaks to the care this bike probably did not get. Get a good low price or move on, there is ALWAYS another bike.

Hey, i would like to thank everyone for their great responses. its been giving me a lot to think about.

i mean, to give more of a background, i was never much of a mechanical guy (i studied photography in college) until about a year ago when i got into formula 1, which gave me huge appreciation of the art of mechanical engineering. i think what maybe sparked my interest in motorcycles was an interview with John Surtees who was an F1 champion as well as a motorcycle racing champion. but i think i must be someone who lives in the past a bit, because even though i am 23, most of the cars and bikes that appeal to me most were made a couple decades before i was born. In terms of bikes the old japanese and english bikes are what fascinates me the most. and i would love to have an experience like i see many people have on forums like this where they are really able to build their motorcycles and have it be a labor of love. but as i said before, i have no wrenching experience, and living in a tiny apartment in brooklyn not much space even to learn. i've been watching a lot of youtube videos trying to learn, but thats only theoretical.

in my mind is also the idea to buy a new royal enfield, it has the look and styling that i want, 500cc engine, but not a huge power output, so it would keep me humble as i'm still learning, and its a new bike with a 2 year unlimited warranty.

but every time i have almost decided, yes, i will go for the RE, i see an ad on craigslist with someone selling some beautiful old japanese bike and i get the itch again that wouldn't it be great to be able to interact with and ride an actual piece of history.

and yes, i probably should have chosen a better time than mid december for the msf course, haha, it was pretty brutal.

Please forgive the plug but these two threads will give you a bit of insight into bringing a basically good, solid 77' XS back from the brink.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23266&highlight=chevy+coupe
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25107&highlight=77D+lives

The bike will be sold this spring for around $4k. It needs nothing but if I was keeping it there are still a number of things that I would want to do to improve it. With these things you're really never finished and that's the fun part for many of us.

roy

My first bike was a Honda Rebel 250. about the same size and weight as the XS, actually very similar overall, just a much smaller engine. I would say for size, power, and handling, the XS would be a fine starter bike. The only problem i see is whats already been said-Its a 30 year old machine that will require CONSTANT maintenance. If you are looking for a project, something to tinker with on the weekends, then yes, go for it. If you are looking for a bike to hop on and ride off into the sunset and never mess with (except for the accessories you will buy for it), then i could not recommend an XS.

Royboy aren't you down soak'n up the sun yet?

Guy's a closet anglophile. That's so sad...
Been there.

To my thinking the bike would be a decent deal @ $1500
But probably not for you.
Where are you going to keep a motorcycle?
I doubt a motorcycle purchase has ever been made that wasn't a good part emotion but listen to the denizens here; these are the faithful, keepers of the flame, and THEY are saying this bike is not for you. I think at least some of that is concern for the welfare of the bike not just you! It's a great restoration/classy rider project for the RIGHT GUY but you'll buy it, get in over your head on needed repairs, let it lay somewhere with parts and pieces removed and it will end up as a hard tail butcher job or parts bike (cringe). We all have to start somewhere just trust us a get those first 1000 miles or so under your belt on a no needs bike then think about the next machine.

You can find decent SV650s in the 2K range. You can also find a LOT of beat to death SV650's but a nice one would be a GREAT first bike. especially the naked ones. Suzuki 650 tempters have close to "the look" you are thinking of without the hassle of a classic also, 2K or less is the norm for a nice one of those. IT really helps to find a buddy for bike looking, You need to instruct him that his job is to nit pick and think of reasons NOT to buy what you are looking at. You'd be surprised how easy it may be to find a guy who will go along on a "bike looking" trip.

yeah. when I was looking for a bike, a friend practically sat on every single bike at the dealer's! Its fun to look.

Back