35 to 36mm fork swap

putting on Xs750 tubes? part way through one myself (part way for way too long, I get easily distracted.) I have the 650 stem welded into the 750 triple it was no big deal, you will need to use the smaller disk(s) maxim disks work perfect and are much lighter than the XS750 disks.

I've got all the parts- I think! Wondering about the bearings, tapered or keeping the stock ball bearings. There's a bit of a difference in the lower tree between the 750 and 650 where the bearing would sit.
There's a link on the Oz xs site on the swap. Something about leaving 1/16th" recessed in on the bottom of the stem, not too sure why. I haven't welded it up yet, need to make sure of the length needed.
http://www.xs650.org.au/xs650 tips.html#Optional Forks

Good questions, I have to pull fork off a bike tomorrow anyway. I will see how what I did fits. I was planning on rollers since i have a set. The XS750 76 (I think, points engine) I got the fork off of had rollers in it too.

Hey you got me off dead center and I put it together to see how it all fits. Thanks for the push! I put in the tapered bearings and the Aussies were right, the stem should be up about hmm I would say a little strong of the 1/16" like 3/32 or 1/8" I didn't do that and put the races in so I ground the lower hood on the frame to provide clearance. About the only other issue so far is the frame stops don't line up well and will need to be moved or added to. Here's the mock up version. the brakes line up great.

750front.jpg

Which bearings did you use? xs650?
How about the lower dust seal or did the bearings you used compensate for the lower tree difference? The 650 lower tree has a bit more of a rise for the dust seal where the bearing sits than the 750.
Looks good btw. I'm looking to gain a bit of length on the front to compensate for the lowering of my shocks. Should put the sidestand back in working order and the centerstand a little easier to use. Maxim discs look good. Hopefully the extra beef of the 36mm tubes will help in the steering issues of the dual brake setup that the 35mm stock forks have.

Last edited:
Yes All balls (I think) rollers and they came with the dust seal, there is still plenty of cup for the seal to contact. I will compare length, I don't think there is much difference less than an inch for sure, that is on an 82 frame. Minor note; be sure you don't want the roller races back out, they don't stick in as far so there is no lip to drift against to get them back out of the frame.

Looks like a bearing purchase for me.
I did come across a thread, 650rider archives, royfisk I believe, where he mentioned the stops needing to be worked otherwise she'll hit the tank. Think he was running the leading axle......
Cool, G!

Last edited:
Waiting for bearings...

I've got the stem in the triple trees, not welded yet, forks in place along with the headlight ears mount, all the spacers that go with. Looks like the stem space- from the bearing rest of the bottom tree, to the end of the upper threaded section is 20 1/2 centimeters- 205 mm- 8 1/16th inches (pick one). Would like a comfirmation......
'83 H.S.

here's a pic this is an 82 HS sorry I don't have my 83 apart :shrug:
The ruler is showing 8 5/16" that is the top of the thread and the flat part of the top of the lower triple where the dust seal rests.

HPIM0573.JPG

hope that helps.

Well, my Pyramid bearings came in. I set the unwelded stem, bearings and all in the neck and adjusted to where everything would work. Disassembled, with the lower bearing in place for a welding guide, and proceeded to my farmer friend for the weld.
I scratched a mark in the lower tree around the recessed stem( Aussies were right), then removed the lower bearing, reset the stem to the mark and welded away.
Got her home and reset the lower bearing using the stock 650 lower dust seal, flipped. Good contact. Also used one of the stock lower races to take up some slack in the lower neck. Bearings are perfect with this fit.
Starting to put it all back together now. Found that using the stock headlamp ears- I had to use a couple more rubber spacers to snug them up, no biggee. Also it looks like a bit of grinding needs to be done where the front brake line attaches to the lower tree. The 750 lower tree is a bit wider than the 650 and some metal needs to come off for a comfortable fit for the line.
I'll have to post some pics.

A bit dark but I like it. Sets better on the side stand now, was a problem with the lowered rear shocks, always afraid a good breeze would knock it over. Center stand use is now back to normal, instead if having to be King Kong, I just need to be Mighty Joe Young.
Looks beefier.
36mmforks002.jpg

Last edited:
Having done the swap, the best advice I can give is to have everything that you're going to need on hand.
Do measurements on the stock stem, convert them over to the 750 stem, how much space do the stock bearings take and how much are the new tapered bearings going to take.
There was a difference in the thickness of the lower trees and a difference in where the lower bearing sits. These should be taken into consideration before any final welding of the 650 stem to the 750 tree.
A couple of fabs had to be made. A bit of grinding for where the brake line attaches and a mount for the headlamp.
36mmforks005.jpg

The 750 lower has a notch seen here to the right of the brake line mount....probably for a dual front disc setup. I'm only running the single so I had to grind a bit to the left for a comfortable route of the line..
And here's a daylight image of my 'rat'.
36mmforks007.jpg

I'm very pleased with the improvement, sits better, handles fine and feels like it's got some beef to it now.
36mmforks003.jpg

Last edited:
Back