stuck clutch

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
after 5 years of sitting while rebuilding rest of bike,every now and then operating the the clutch (but not for last 2 years...I know my own lazy fault..had every thing ready for the test ride..clutch firmally stuck together. tried in gear and rocking clutch in/starting rev slightly then in gear..stall without moving...any ideas with out pulling the whole clutch out which would be a pain in the rear end:banghead:

My klr sticks all the time after sitting for a few days. I get it rolling down my driveway, click into gear while moving, then no stall. Once im riding down my street i pull clutch in and rev it up. Then they break free. I really wanna put in new plates and heavy duty springs like my wifes has, but it usually requires mechanical seal replacement as the water pump is on that cover too. So kinda puttin it off...i did that seal on my wifes. Pain in the arse.

Posted via Mobile

my plates on my xs stick after a few days. When I go to start it, with kill endgaged, pull in clutch lever and kick until the kicker limps free, this also primes the carbs/cylinders. then I put kill to run, starts first kick.

I had a stuck clutch on a motor that sat for a long time. Tried all the tricks to break it free without opening up the engine and none of them worked.

Finally, I laid the bike on it's left side (so I wouldn't have to drain the oil) and pulled the right cover. With the clutch lever pulled and zip-tied to the handle bar, I pried up each clutch disk with a flat blade screwdriver. Put the cover back on and was good to go.

It was so quick and easy I wondered why I spent so much time trying everything else first.

From reading the board the last 3 years it seems to be a very common problem for 650's that sit for any time. Mine sits for weeks without moving and sticks bad. Friction plates,cable and clutch springs are new, oil is fresh Rotella T 15w40, steel plates are good, and adjustment seems OK. Hard to break loose after time sitting. Only way is to lock brakes and put into gear. Usually twice frees it up. If I let is sit just a few days, about the 3rd kick through with the kick start frees the plates. Keeping the lever pulled and tied is the best way to keep them unstuck for long term, but I then wonder how that effects the clutch cable and clutch springs? TwoManyXS1Bs has reported using a friction reducer called Motorkote, and he has liked his results so far. Anything is worth a try.
Here is my short thread on same subject from about 2 weeks ago:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34926

No clutch sticks like my T140. Tie the lever back so the plates do not have pressure on them. Let this sit for a few days. Start the bike, if possible, and blip the throttle all the time with the lever back to the grip. My XS clutch sticking is girly compared to my Triumph.

What ever you do, DON'T start the engine and try to slam it into gear!

Tom

Well, I haven't ridden mine in about 10 days, so decided I better check it. First kick-thru, sure 'nuff, it's stuck. Halfway thru 2nd kick it released, again like the kicker wasn't connected. Let it set an hour and tried again. It released instantly.

Had a similar stuck clutch issue (dry clutch) on my tractor 3 years ago. Took forever to free it. Since then have adopted the old farmer's trick of blocking the clutch petal after shutdown.

The tractor clutch is a known issue, mechanical/corrosion bonding of the clutch plate to the flywheel after prolonged setting in the elements. With the XS wet clutch the problem seems to be more than simple viscous fluid adhesion, almost like a chemical bond. Perhaps the Motorcote interferes with that..?..?

I had a stuck clutch on a motor that sat for a long time. Tried all the tricks to break it free without opening up the engine and none of them worked.

Finally, I laid the bike on it's left side (so I wouldn't have to drain the oil) and pulled the right cover. With the clutch lever pulled and zip-tied to the handle bar, I pried up each clutch disk with a flat blade screwdriver. Put the cover back on and was good to go.

It was so quick and easy I wondered why I spent so much time trying everything else first.
thanks mr riggs,will try the other methods first but if they fail will try yours,sounds a lot easier than pulling the clutch apart on the bench (no damage to discs?)

Back