Question about Never Seize

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm tearing down that parts bike I bought and while I haven't run into anything on the engine I couldn't get apart, the pucker factor was WAY up in a couple of spots due to our old friend Dissimilar Metal Corrosion. Steel screws into aluminum threads...

I've been thinking that when I put it back together I want use Never Seize on some of the fasteners, mostly clutch and alternator cover bolts, the screws that hold the stator on (I was REAL nervous getting them out) and the bottom bracket that holds the carbs together and maybe the diaphram cover screws.

My question is this: Is there a special Never Seize or similar product for use on aluminum? I did note on the Never Seize website that they specifically mention their Blue Moly version for use with dissimilar metals.

Also, a quick observation: The four screws that hold the angle iron bracket on the bottom of the BS34 carbs were REALLY stuck. I couldn't get a good shot at them with my manual impact screwdriver, so I decided to try something a little off the beaten path. I got the best fitting bit out of my screwdriver kit, put the 3/8ths socket adapter in my battery impact (the bit holder for my manual impact is 3/8ths drive) and being very careful to keep the bit square and firmly seated, hit the button.

Worked slicker than a smelt! Even the one I reamed out the head on came out once I ground a slot in it and changed to a straight tip bit.

I recommend using a copper based anti-seize. It shows up better on the threads so you can judge the need to re-apply in the future. I'm pretty sure those angle bracket screws are locktited in, that's why they're so tough to remove. I anti-seize them too. Also, on long, shouldered screws/bolts into aluminum, anti-seize the entire length, not just the threaded end. You'll get that white corrosion up on the shouldered part if you don't.

Thanks, 5twins. I'll pick up a little can next time I'm in town.

New Question: There's a lot of that white corrosion behind the rotor (which came off nicely) in all those little nooks and crannies. I really like 3M's Scotchbrite roloc disks for buffing off corrosion, does anyone know if they make a point or ball type pad that I could use to get in there? Haven't been able to find anything on the web.

Copper may cause dissimilar corrosion between steel and aluminum. In my sprinter Mercedes recommends ceramic anti seize between steel glow plugs and an aluminum head. Good enough for me.

Not leaving the bike out in a field or wet barn might help .............
For those side covers I cut the long arm off an allen wrench to create a long socket for the hand impact to remove the tough ones.

I work a day job aboard yachts doing marine systems engineering and installation; endless amounts of stainless fasteners into stainless and aluminium holes, all subject to salt water and electrolysis. We swear by Tef-Gel. There's nothing much better for isolating dissimilar metals and preventing galling on stainless fasteners. Not cheap, but a little goes a very long way.

Back