Need help!!! clutch problem????

jonboy-xsbobber

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just changed my cam chain and wile I was at It I changed my clutch plates and switched over to a one peice push rod before I tore it down I couldn't find neutral when the engine was running and stoped when I take off it doesn't want to go into second it just goes into neutral if I shift twice fast and at the right rpm's I can get it into second and it will shift up and back down no problem

Does this sound like a problem I will have to split the case to fix???
I just don't know what to do help would be amazing I have tryed to find something to help on here but didn't

It's an 81

there is a 5 pointed piece behind your clutch. two of the 'legs' that are positioned between the two dowel rods on either side must be equa-distant. easy fix. You already had the clutch apart, so do it again. And consider monster craftsman's clutch bolt mod. Its cap screws and washers instead of those screws molded from butter. 35$, 5twins and leo have made there own. search clutch bolt screw mod.

Ok I forgot to mention I put new springs on the shift arm to try and fix it as well I thought I checked the star last time I was in there but I will check it again...
And if that's all good any other ideas what it could be?

I just changed my cam chain and wile I was at It I changed my clutch plates and switched over to a one peice push rod before I tore it down I couldn't find neutral when the engine was running and stoped when I take off it doesn't want to go into second it just goes into neutral if I shift twice fast and at the right rpm's I can get it into second and it will shift up and back down no problem

Does this sound like a problem I will have to split the case to fix???
I just don't know what to do help would be amazing I have tryed to find something to help on here but didn't

It's an 81

I would,
1...remove the left side cover
2...break the clutch adjuster nut loose
3...pull the clutch lever
4..with the lever pulled, while observing the cable to adjuster arm angle, adjust the cable at the lever perch until 90 degrees and lock in place, release the clutch lever.
5...re-install cover
6...using a screwdriver tighten the adjuster in the cover removing all lash but not releasing the clutch then back the adjuster off 1/8-1/4 ( I use 1/6)turns and jam the lock nut.
7...at the lever perch,remove all but 1/8" slack in the cable

This will give the maximum leverage to release the clutch and give maximum disengagement while allowing thermal growth and full engagement.

V/R
Riksoto

Last edited:
So I fixed my clutch problems today I ended up swapping the clutch from another engine I had that shifted fine when it was pulled when I did the swap I noticed that the clutch that was giving me problems the washers and bearings weren't in the same place as the other one so I installed it the way the other clutch was and that fixed my problem shifts good and I have neutral again..... But now my push rod seal is leaking???

Back