Just Scored a 72 XS650

Jaboney

"Storm Rider"
Reaction score
Hi everyone. New here and just picked up a 72 that hardley runs. Its been slightly modified to an ugly chopper attempt. I plan on a Cafe/Brat conversion. This is a great site. Glad to be here. pix coming soon.:D

0716140841.jpg

Hope it uploads

Yes, that looks to be a '73. Rear shocks look interesting. Konis maybe?

0716140842b.jpg

I don't know what the hell this canister thing is. Hose going under tank. :wtf:
Catch can perhaps?

And yes, those are real Koni shocks. Are they that good?

I think I found the reason for the rough idle. It was running on one cylinder. The small fuel lines from the petcocks to the carbs were all cracked and brittle. Going to the store for some lines now.

0716141947.jpg

Like this. Is this not the way these lines should be connected? Because I put them back on and tried starting the engine and fuel came pouring out of the carbs?:yikes:

0716141618.jpg

These air cleaners were on there soaked with fuel when I got the bike.

Are they stock Yamaha? Pretty beat up I think.:confused:

The spigots at the bottom of the fuel bowls are overflow lines - lines from same should be routed downward clear of engine. Spigots on the inboard sides of the carburetors facing each other are connected to "share" fuel enrichening circuit (choke, so to speak) of the left carburetor with the right one and the second is for fuel equalization between the 2 - black hoses in your photo. Upper clear line is a vent line - open to atmosphere. And the air filters appear to be something other than stock Yamaha parts..

I knew something wasn't right when I tried cranking it wile the carbs were both leaking, and she back fired pretty good and blew the right side carb clear off the engine. It was hanging by the throttle cable!

The spigots at the bottom of the fuel bowls are overflow lines - lines from same should be routed downward clear of engine. Spigots on the inboard sides of the carburetors facing each other are connected to "share" fuel enrichening circuit (choke, so to speak) of the left carburetor with the right one and the second is for fuel equalization between the 2 - black hoses in your photo. Upper clear line is a vent line - open to atmosphere. And the air filters appear to be something other than stock Yamaha parts..
Thanks Wesley for the good tech info. I now have much bigger issues with this engine than carburetors. I removed the plugs and did a compression check and found 110 psi in the left. Zero in the right cylinder.

The right intake valve lash is huge so I thinking a bent valve!

Could very well be a bent valve. Might want to shine a light in the combustion chamber since the plug is out to insure the piston is intact. Could have been run "lean" which can result in a hole in the piston........hope not! Now a question for you...........the scooter in your avatar - looks to be a flathead V-twin. Don't see a carburetor on the right side of the engine so am guessing Indian? Forks look like Sport Scout too. Swell looking scooter!............Wesley

Yes it is a very slightly bent valve from my compressed air check down the intake with the valve closed. I can't see much of the piston, so i'm pulling the head to inspect.

Would it be possible to loosen the engine mounts and tilt the motor to one side and just pull off the head?

And yup, its an old Indian in a custom frame in the avatar. Not mine though.

Back