oil pump scarred up.

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Was checking oil pump condition and tolerances and found lots of marks as if something has been in the oil and scared up the pump. I checked the tolerance and I cant get a .002 feeler gauge between where it needs to go. Can get a .015 but not the .002 I have another cover with oil pump and it looks better. Should I trash the scared up one? This scared pump came from a parts motor I just got the other day. My original pump looks better but the side cover has a crack in it so I am going to use the cover I just got. Will there be a problem putting the better oil pump in to a different case? thanks

Attachments

• oil-pump.JPG
    oil-pump.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 148
Yes you can swap pumps and covers. The roller and ball bearing XS doesn't need a "bunch" of oil pressure so some scoring isn't a big deal. What you show there is typical when the sump screen is torn. Replacements are available from mikes but (shockingly) there have been some fit issues with those parts in the past.
If it makes you feel better you can do some clean up by rubbing the rotors on fine sandpaper on a flat surface. you can do the same with the housing to reduce side clearance a smidge but it's tricky work keeping any material removal even all the way around.

On the rotors and the cover you can remove I can catch a finger nail but the base in the case looks fine.
I will swap them with the one with .002 thanks for input guys.

Back