New guy looking for help!

traversable

XS650 wana-be
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My name is Travis, I'm kinda new here.. well, truth is I joined about 7 years ago after building a tracker but was quiet & never posted anything.. I ended up having to sell her because of life n stuff.. but I'm back !!!

I recently took a project over from Sherwin. He rebuilt this motor but never got as far as starting it. I'm itching to get the cycle on the road but have run into a bit of a problem.. Can't seam to turn it over using the kickstarter. turns over when I put a wrench on the crank .. but it doesn't seam to budge with the kickstarter. Please watch the video for a better understanding of what I've got going on..

Thanks for taking the time to help.
TR/\V

Yeah, I've got the same thing going on in an acquired motor and haven't had the time to sort it out. Will need to pull the kick starter and install it properly. Somebody will throw a link up. Was reading one in the tech section a while ago and I'm sure it's still there...........

Thanks but I've already seen & gone over the thread on the kickstarter.. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the kickstarter is the root of my problem. The video in my post helps explan if it's finished uploading yet.

Sorry.. It looks like my video is going to take a while to upload.. Maybe check back in with me tomorrow to see what you guys think after watching it.

Thanks

I am building my first one and kind of had the same concern. I don't think you are putting enough effort in trying to get it kicked over. In other words...put some more ass into it. My motor is in the frame so I could stand on the kick starter and get it to move. I could be wrong but that's my guess.

I am building my first one and kind of had the same concern. I don't think you are putting enough effort in trying to get it kicked over. In other words...put some more ass into it. My motor is in the frame so I could stand on the kick starter and get it to move. I could be wrong but that's my guess.
Ya,That was my first thought.. But I had a friend try and jump on it while I was holding the engine.. Not a budge.. felt like gears were welded together.. And my first thought would be that it wouldn't really be much different then trying to turn the engine over using a wrench on the crank..

The way you easily pulled the kick starter assembly out in your video makes me think it was not installed properly, not seated in fully. See post #8 here .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25602

I've had the kickstarter in and out many times.. Watched the videos and have seen all the links. I'm quite confident it's not a problem with the Kickstarter. The kickstarter seams to work and engage fine.

I'm on my way over to help a guy re-install his motor. It's still sitting on the bench at the moment so I'll try the kicker and see just how difficult it is. The right cover and kick components haven't been touched and it was working fine with the motor in the bike.

To confirm that the kicker is seated in fully, fit the cover. It won't seat down all the way against the gasket if the kicker isn't in all the way.

Looking at your video, the amount of effort you're using to rotate the crank with the ratchet wrench is way too much. With the plugs pulled, you should be able to rotate the engine easily. I can rotate mine by gripping and rotating the clutch basket by hand.

The kickstart and primary gear ratios combine to make that 'stuck engine' friction skyrocket...

I'm on my way over to help a guy re-install his motor. It's still sitting on the bench at the moment so I'll try the kicker and see just how difficult it is. The right cover and kick components haven't been touched and it was working fine with the motor in the bike.

To confirm that the kicker is seated in fully, fit the cover. It won't seat down all the way against the gasket if the kicker isn't in all the way.
Thanks @5twins, @twomanyxs1bs, I appreciate your feedback. I installed the kickstarter with along with the cover. The kickstarter seams to be working properly.. however the engine still doesn't budge. I'm uploading another couple of videos to help give you guys a few more angles of what I'm looking at.. Might be couple of hours before they're loaded. My fear is that something internally is out of whack. and the case may need to be cracked.. I didn't rebuild the engine.. & I'm not really set up in my basement for such a job.. so it makes it that much more difficult.

In your video you said that you assembled the clutch lever and cable and puled the lever but it made no difference as to the amount of force it took to rotate the engine. When you pulled the lever did you see the pressure plate and friction plates move? If you have movement of the pressure plate and friction plates my thoughts would be the assembly of the clutch outer basket to the transmission input shaft may be incorrect especially the thrust bearing and washers behind the outer clutch basket. I suggest disassembling the clutch completely and build it up from scratch paying close attention to the stack up of washers behind the outer basket.

OK one thing to look at on other side of motor .If alternator not seated correct it will be hard to crank. I have had many guys swap out alternator and not seat them and motor won't turn. If I was you PULL PLUGS and pull off alternator if installed and see if it cranks. If its still hard find out what was installed in rebuild. Bent ring will also make it tough. Its not going easy with the 1/2 inch wrench in your video. With no plugs a 3/8 rachet should turn that easy.

Hey Guys! I'm back.. After spending some time in the basement today. here's what I've discovered.. I'm pretty sure the problem lies in the clutch& how it was put back together. I'm currently uploading videos of my progress but I'm find out things faster then they're uploading. But I'll post them just so you guys can follow along if you so choose.. comment.. or just mutter behind you screen if you want.. :laugh: It's been a long time since I've been in any cycle gears.. so thanks for being patient with me..

So when the clutch was pulled, both the top end and trans seamed to move nicely.

I've looked over the thread on the clutch/ assembly. I've also watch several youtube vids on the assembly and it seams as thou I'm using all correct pieces & have them in the correct order.. but when put the clutch together it still seams to bind up when I tighten everything down tight. I'm currently uploading a video showing my order.. it will likely be up tomorrow It's basically the same order as this guys -

Back