Question about the pushrod worm gear

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a question worm gear. Cleaning up my worm gear, took apart the worm gear and now it does seem to go together right, what am I doing wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 295
'Morning, Richard. Your worm thing is simply indexed wrong. With 4 threads on that thing, it's easy to get one of the 3 wrong ways. Have the worm's arm pointing forward, toward the alternator rotor center area, when you start it into the worm body. Then it'll rotate in to the correct seating depth.

Your return spring is stretched/damaged. Having it pull the arm all the way down really helps clutch action and adjustments...

Thanks Steve, I stop at Yamaha shop and ask about return spring (they said it was discontinued):doh: I did grease the inside of the worm gear, what about the area the pushrod goes in:shrug:

The part of the pushrod that sticks in the engine is bathed in motor oil so that's fine. The exposed portion can rust though. Smear grease all over it. I also apply some to the part of the shift shaft that fits in the side cover and to the exposed portion of the clutch cable .....

LfCoverLocatingDowels.jpg

Yes, pack the worm gear real good. Also put a big wad of grease in on top of the "captive" ball in there. They don't stay "captive" and the grease will help hold it in. Over time, the pushrod wears the little crimps away that hold the ball in. Then the ball can fall out and get lost when you remove the cover.

WormGearCrimps.jpg

You could try to rework the old spring. Clip off the part that hooks into the worm arm and rebend the end so it rehooks in there. You just want it to fully retract the worm arm...

It's funny, they still sell the little peg that the spring hooks onto, but not the spring. Who in the world has ever needed to replace that peg? lol, lol

Still working on my pushrod worm gear area, trying to clean all the build up of oil, so I'm using degreaser and cot if pretty clean, but when I turned it over it seems real shiny on the bottom, I think the degreaser did it, seem like a grease layer, so I use some degreaser on the front with 600 grit sandpaper, should do that or get s cleaner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 213
most hardware stores have a ton o springs. just take your old one, and get on close to the same size. Yamaha didn't invent the spring.

Back