XS650 oil light sensor

jayel

#9 Guru 74 TX650A
Reaction score
why doesn't the 650 have a oil light? the xs400 does, how hard would it be to adapt one?... be a lot more useful the the headlight out feature,, if I'm going down the road at night and the headlight goes out I don't need a idiot light to tell me that, but it would be nice to know the oil is low

Is the Xs400 roller or plain bearing? Roller bearing engines (XS650) run rather low oil pressure. It would be hard to have a sensor on an XS650 that wouldn't flash on at idle. Someone was just saying how low the oil pressure is at idle with a gauge. Some XS650s have a sight window for level.

Last edited:
Warmed up at idle 1-2 lbs of pressure.
From what I have seen of cranks on Ebay the XS400 uses a forged crank like a car, babbit style bearings, they need much more pressure.
Leo

An oil pressure gage would be more useful than a light. The pressure in the XS650 engine does go to zero at idle when the engine is hot. Get a liquid filled 0 to 20 PSI gage and tap into the screen side cover:

gaugetap.jpg

Mount the gage in place of the ignition switch for '80 to '83 models:

cockpit4.jpg

Relocate the ignition switch to the lower left side a la Honda:

ign switch.jpg

Just clamp it to the handle bars for earlier models:

cockpit.jpg

Is the Xs400 roller or plain bearing? Roller bearing engines (XS650) run rather low oil pressure. It would be hard to have a sensor on an XS650 that wouldn't flash on at idle. Someone was just saying how low the oil pressure is at idle with a gauge. Some XS650s have a sight window for level.
hard to check rolling down the road at 65+ :laugh: I think Pamcopete nailed it :thumbsup:

Back