Rusty's build thread!

rustynail99

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys, i have posted a lot of questions and now i am finally posting a build thread with some pics. hope you like it:thumbsup:

what the bike started out as. My buddy called it a milk man bike.
DSCN0482.jpg

started taking it apart.
DSCN0547.jpg

Carbs torn apart
DSCN0187.jpg

Working on getting all the wiring out and labeled.
DSCN0669.jpg

Wiring+late night+shop fumes= This
DSCN0678.jpg

Getting the motor ready to take it out of the frame.
DSCN0694.jpg

My GF sittin in the cold shop keeping me company :) she also did some manual reading that night and helped take apart the rear swingarm:D she is pretty awesome!:thumbsup:
DSCN0543.jpg

who needs a motor lift when you have family :laugh:
DSCN0705.jpg

Got it!
DSCN0713.jpg

Down to parade rest as my dad would say.
DSCN0722.jpg

Cuttin the rear section of the frame off so i could send it to TCBros. to get hardtailed!
DSCN0740.jpg

i dont think im going to be able to get these back together! :doh:
DSCN0766.jpg

This is about how i want it to sit when its done. The glasses give me vision into the future!
DSCN0717.jpg

:doh: Should have sent it to me lol I could have done the Labor for half the price and we could have got you a better hardtail :D.... anyways it looks like you got a good start. If you need anything else for your bike hit me up before you go to Totally Crap Bros (tc bro) :laugh: lmao
NortonKustomS@gmail.com

haha, Jimmy it wasnt really that hard, i will admit. i actually got the frame back with the hardtail already but i havent had a chance to get any pics yet. :doh: i hope to have a rolling chassis put together soon i just have to find some time. :banghead: then i will post some more progress pics. :wink2:

Norton Kustoms- i hadnt seen your hardtail advertised anywhere so there was no way for me to have you as an option. :shrug: i would love to see an example of your hardtail though. :) i looked at your pics and they are all from the rear motor mount forward. the rest of the bike looked pretty sick though! :thumbsup: yep other then that, tc bros did a pretty good job and i like the look of their hardtails (reminds me of the old harley panhead frames) and they were super helpful and quick to respond. :D

other then that i hope you guys like the bike as it progresses, i have seen alot of awesome bikes on here and i hope mine turns out not to be too bad. I will try and update as soon as i get back to work on it! :bike:

Looking good rusty. Get some new pics up showing the progress.

Norton - got any pics of your hardtail? I'd like to see it too. I was considering going with the TC tail as well.

Posted via Mobile

RUSTY-I dont think there is anything wrong with the people at TC Bro's just there rear axle plates are a little to thin for my taste 3/8's for the rear axle??? Idk man its not my life on there bikes lol Im a dealer through Elswick Cycles and they have thicker rear plates. I dig your bike I think its comin along sweet and if you need anything let me know id be glad to help ya out or get ya what ya need. :thumbsup:.

DRAGGINIT93 They do have some really good parts i just wish they would have taken a lil longer to come up with there items and more-less spent a little bit more money and made there products alot stronger insted of cheap and flimsy... Not tryin to bash on them Ive got some lil things from them in the past but some stuff is just to cheaply made:wtf:

Here is my link to my myspace page..its a work in progress. We are moving to a bigger shop this next week so we are busy with that but there will be more on the site as fast a we can.:thumbsup:

http://www.myspace.com/nortonkustoms

Also you guys can ship your frame to me and I can weld on your hardtails as well no biggie ;)

Hey Rusty and others let me take my foot out of my mouth and I relised that both the the Elswick and Tc Bros hardtails are the same in the axle plate size :doh:... my bad on that guys. Ill read all the way through the add's next time insted of scanning lmao... again my bad and Im sorry :shrug:

Hmm I guess I missed that reply... Bc I definitely would have told you that they are the same. I found elswick after I put my hardtail on. Wish I had found them before only bc of the prefab dropseat. If otherwise though I'm pretty happy with my tcb

Posted via Mobile

Nice choppin'...who needs an engine lift?..I bought beer. It was really easy watching my buds wrestle it in. I really liked my TCBros tail..but I had to rework it a bit for my project.

Nice choppin'...who needs an engine lift?..I bought beer. It was really easy watching my buds wrestle it in. I really liked my TCBros tail..but I had to rework it a bit for my project.

I just used my kickstart as a handle and lifted it and put it in :shrug:

Posted via Mobile

yeah, it's not that bad, i think taking it out was worse than putting it back in.

my dad went in to grab some beer, and by the time he came back in the engine was in :)

whats up guys, man sorry i havnt updated in so long but i havnet really gotten to work on the bike much the last couple of months. my school semester was insane and i also coach youth soccer, have a band, and a GF that lives an hour and a half away so i was just super swamped. however i am back at it and have made some progress. i will probably do a full update tomorrow. thanks for the interest! :)

ok guys i know its been a while but i am back at it and hitting it hard! ready to get this damn thing on the road!!! ...now i just have to figure out how to do everything... :confused: so here are some pics and what is going on with the build. :thumbsup:

here is a pic of the bike back from TC Bros. with the sporty tank (just for you Teebs) and the drag bars with the pre-modded stock fender. its sitting on our homemade work stand bike lift, i should put it in home made tools, i think its pretty neat. its made out of an aluminum door frame, a piece of plywood all bolted to a big dog center stance bike lift. :D

DSCN0992.jpg

Here is a picture of me sitting on it with some towels for the seat, but this is about how it should sit give or take a little :bike:

DSCN0999.jpg

this is drilling out the spot welds to take off the tabs for the fender since i will not be using them

DSCN1003.jpg

using a ball-peen hammer and a piece of wood to pound out the factory made dents in the fender. its definitely not perfect but it will work :wink2:

DSCN1005.jpg

after some of the modding on the fender, widening out the bottom to match the fest, bangin out the dents, etc. hope it looks alright when its all done. it isnt my ideal fender but it will due until i find one i like better:thumbsup:

DSCN1011.jpg

ok here is the motor in a stand that we made brackets so we would mount the motor to a car engine stand. this is with the head starting to come off. it took a lot to get it off i wonder if it has ever been takin off :confused:

DSCN1027.jpg

the motor with the head off and on the bench, engine on the stand.

DSCN1037.jpg

top view of the motor minus the top

DSCN1035.jpg

top view of the bottom of the top... that was a bit confusing... :confused:

DSCN1036.jpg

OK now for my questions, comment, and concerns :banghead: so when i drained the oil there seemed to be a pretty good amount of sludgy build up in of the magnetic oil cap :shrug: same on the transmission cap. also found some very small metal shavings when i put my finger up the oil hole (wow that sounds bad :doh: ) and moved my finger around in there :( . any one know if i should be concerned? mind you it did shift through all the gears fine and the clutch seemed to be working fine :shrug:
also does anyone know if i need a special cam chain tool to get it off or can i just use a regular chain breaker to get it? any other suggestions or comments are welcomed. i know i am very inexperienced and i take critism well. if im doing something stupid feel free to point it out bluntly :thumbsup: thanks every body :D

That engine stand looks good. I'd be interested in seeing the brackets you made.

Back