Royal Enfield Interceptor 2019

A friend of mine recommended Flintz, he's a gun nut and says it keeps the bluing nice
but works on chrome. I tried it and love it, wayyyy faster than Mothers.
Nice thing is it leaves a slight film behind. When you get dirty brush off the heavy stuff
and hit it with a nice soft cloth and the shine will come right back, it'll do that for you 2 or 3
times before you have to polish again and every time is faster than the last. :)

Getting used to his new home?

PICT0970.JPG

Flitz Polish

I use this on brass also when cleaning carbs and then really flush it clean after. Its still an abrasive, softer than chrome of course but don't get too aggressive on brass.

I'm a gun nut :) Use it for polishing up trigger groups.
FLITZ, HA! Didn't even realize I've been saying it wrong for over a year now.
Thanks. Yes I've use it on mine also, took light rust off that I hadn't even seen,
you could see it on the cloth. Works great on Aluminum.

For one day only . . . no rain, Sun out, warm.

Took the bike to show to Elliot - chance to put up a piccie not in our back yard.

PICT0971.JPG

Elliot has BMW R100/7 and an NSU Quickly in his garage. He loved the Interceptor of course.

110 mile round trip so a few more riding observations. The strong engine braking is something you notice, shutting the throttle is almost like light braking, riding gently along country A roads and occasional villages, you really can ride on just throttle and gears. No need to brake for 30 and 20 mph limits.

But that lack of flywheel means you need a careful touch on the throttle in traffic and around towns to avoid jerkiness. The bike doesn't suffer from snatchiness people often mention with EFI, but I tend to be gentle with the throttle, it's how I ride esp in urban areas. I guess if you were a touch clumsier, it might get jerky.

The suspension is fine on smooth roads, as I said earlier. It's not OEM, the rear shocks are unmarked, might be Hagon? have an adjuster at the bottom for spring preload and a little adjuster wheel at the top, must be rebound damping. On bumpier roads - you really notice on country roads that run past or through a wooded plantation, the roots push the road surface up giving short, steep bumps - the suspension feels 'choppy'. Best word I can think of. If set up is too soft a bike wallows & pogos over bumps, but I associate choppiness and jolts with too firm. Thought at first it must be the shocks set too firm, which then means should I adjust spring or rebound? But on the way home was thinking I could feel jolts through me wrists, so maybe the forks are too stiff? Well, I don't know how the emulators work so I'll probably start with the easiest and see what adjustment the rear springs offer.

Speedo must be a bit optimistic. Those village speed limits, 20 in the Borders, 30 in Northumberland, are 'enforced' by speed signs that tell you your measured speed in real time as you approach - TV sized screen reads 28 in green with a green smiley face. Or alternatively back in Scotland reads 28MPH flashing red SLOW DOWN!. Either way, gives you a chance to see what the speedo sez. Not fully calibrate - the speed signs are not thought to be totally accurate and probably vary anyhow. But when the sign was giving me 29THANK YOU the speedo was showing, ooh, 33-34ish. Speedo and tacho both nicely laid out analogue dials.

Front brake is very sharp. Certainly haven't been worrying the ABS, not while I'm riding about a lot less than usual pace getting to know the bike. But even so offers more stopping than Miss November or even Polly at a fraction of the effort. I'll need to be careful . . .

That's the longest run we've done. Starting to get a bit uncomfortable, more between the shoulders than me bum. So seat not too bad, maybe riding position not quite right? Feels like it ought to be a good stance, the pegs feel significantly further back than on an XS650. You sit up to grip the wide braced bars. But as said starts to hurt between the shoulders after a while.

Rewarding to open the loudness control, and not just to hear the peashooters. Mostly, I've been using about 4,000 which shows 62mph on the speedo. Possibly optimistic. Sixth is not an overdrive, the ratios are close, changing 5th to 6th only drops about 200 revs. But today took a few opportunities to ask for a little bit more, going up a rise or passing a lorry. Give the bike a few revs and a bit of stick and sure feels like there's more go than the W800.

Filled that shiny tank for the 2nd time today. Just over 70mpg - fink that's 56 to your puny American gallon?

Lot of flooded roads today so the Interceptor was plastered as probably never before. Well, I had to wash it, didn't I?

PICT0972.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I don't know how the emulators work so I'll probably start with the easiest and see what adjustment the rea springs offer.
Assuming the emulators are installed correctly, the fix is simple.
The emulator sits on top of the damper rod. Remove the fork spring. Reach down to the bottom with mechanical fingers. Pull the emulator. Turn 1/2 turn towards loose. You should note that the fork moves faster, ie soaks up the bumps better. If it’s not enough, do it again for another half turn.

While you have each spring out, make sure they aren’t progressive wound. If they are, spring replacement is in order as you’ll never get them tuned.
If turning the screw out on the bottom of the emulator does nothing, you’ll have to assume installation was not properly done. IIRC, the damper rod needs to have at least eight enlarged holes in it. If this wasn’t done, bumps in the road are going to hurt your wrists.

Once dialed in, the emulators are a huge improvement to damper rod forks.

For one day only . . . no rain, Sun out, warm.

Took the bike to show to Elliot - chance to put up a piccie not in our back yard.

View attachment 323008

Elliot has BMW R100/7 and an NSU Quickly in his garage. He loved the Interceptor of course.

110 mile round trip so a few more riding observations. The strong engine braking is something you notice, shutting the throttle is almost like light braking, riding gently along country A roads and occasional villages, you really can ride on just throttle and gears. No need to brake for 30 and 20 mph limits.

But that lack of flywheel means you need a careful touch on the throttle in traffic and around towns to avoid jerkiness. The bike doesn't suffer from snatchiness people often mention with EFI, but I tend to be gentle with the throttle, it's how I ride esp in urban areas. I guess if you were a touch clumsier, it might get jerky.

The suspension is fine on smooth roads, as I said earlier. It's not OEM, the rear shocks are unmarked, might be Hagon? have an adjuster at the bottom for spring preload and a little adjuster wheel at the top, must be rebound damping. On bumpier roads - you really notice on country roads that run past or through a wooded plantation, the roots push the road surface up giving short, steep bumps - the suspension feels 'choppy'. Best word I can think of. If set up is too soft a bike wallows & pogos over bumps, but I associate choppiness and jolts with too firm. Thought at first it must be the shocks set too firm, which then means should I adjust spring or rebound? But on the way home was thinking I could feel jolts through me wrists, so maybe the forks are too stiff? Well, I don't know how the emulators work so I'll probably start with the easiest and see what adjustment the rear springs offer.

Speedo must be a bit optimistic. Those village speed limits, 20 in the Borders, 30 in Northumberland, are 'enforced' by speed signs that tell you your measured speed in real time as you approach - TV sized screen reads 28 in green with a green smiley face. Or alternatively back in Scotland reads 28MPH flashing red SLOW DOWN!. Either way, gives you a chance to see what the speedo sez. Not fully calibrate - the speed signs are not thought to be totally accurate and probably vary anyhow. But when the sign was giving me 29THANK YOU the speedo was showing, ooh, 33-34ish. Speedo and tacho both nicely laid out analogue dials.

Front brake is very sharp. Certainly haven't been worrying the ABS, not while I'm riding about a lot less than usual pace getting to know the bike. But even so offers more stopping than Miss November or even Polly at a fraction of the effort. I'll need to be careful . . .

That's the longest run we've done. Starting to get a bit uncomfortable, more between the shoulders than me bum. So seat not too bad, maybe riding position not quite right? Feels like it ought to be a good stance, the pegs feel significantly further back than on an XS650. You sit up to grip the wide braced bars. But as said starts to hurt between the shoulders after a while.

Rewarding to open the loudness control, and not just to hear the peashooters. Mostly, I've been using about 4,000 which shows 62mph on the speedo. Possibly optimistic. Sixth is not an overdrive, the ratios are close, changing 5th to 6th only drops about 200 revs. But today took a few opportunities to ask for a little bit more, going up a rise or passing a lorry. Give the bike a few revs and a bit of stick and sure feels like there's more go than the W800.

Filled that shiny tank for the 2nd time today. Just over 70mpg - fink that's 56 to your puny American gallon?

Lot of flooded roads today so the Interceptor was plastered as probably never before. Well, I had to wash it, didn't I?

View attachment 323011
Great overview ride Raymond. I love the look of your bike; it’s a cool machine for sure, maybe to cool for me 😂. Anyhow keep posting the ‘user views’ cos I’m very much interested in the bike.

I think most of us here are very interested in this bike. What's not to like about a brand new 650 vertical twin? I know I'm considering one, even test drove it, lol. But a short test drive isn't much to make a judgement on. Sure, it ran great and rode nice, but I don't know what it would be like to actually have to live with it and ride it on a daily basis. You're answering many of those questions. If I got one, I'd set it up much like yours (except the seat, lol). I'd get some sort of aftermarket slip-on mufflers, the performance air filter (which I believe includes a more open air box cover), probably the fly screen too. I'd probably also install my favorite bars, the Euro type. If I did replace the seat, I think I'd go with the touring seat they offer. It looks pretty much the same as the original but is supposed to be better padded. I'd get those mini crash bars too, I like those. And I'd love to get the stainless fenders, but they cost quite a bit.

I rode the 650 interceptor last year at a RE demo ride day, as I probably mentioned earlier. It was smooth and tight and new feeling for sure. I do recall the strong engine braking Raymond. It felt shorter than my '74. I haven't compared the two wheelbase lengths or the rakes. Anyone know the difference, if any? I really want to ride the 350 for fun, and hope to this summer on another RE demo day. I see more and more RE on the road on Vancouver Island each month.

I’m anxious to learn whether you favor the RE to the W800, both being modern bikes.
Ooh, that's a difficult question, Marty. Not one I can answer, not yet anyway. Maybe after I've ridden em both? Possibly need to try and do back-to-back outings on both someday?

I always say the W800 is the best bike in the garage. That was true when I had Miss November and the wee Honda NX250 Dominatrix and it was still true when the NX was swapped out for the 2002 500 Bullet. But I'd find it hard to define best.

And is it still true now the Interceptor has come to live here?

Miss November has a way of remaining a kind of favourite. Partly it's the investment - time, effort, emotion, money. Partly it's the nature of the beast - an old XS650 has a rough, raw and ready character and it's there every ride, sometimes welcome, sometimes not. And sometimes the buzz that character gives you is the main reason for the ride.

But the 500 Bullet also has favouritism in its camp - have a look here https://www.xs650.com/threads/2003-royal-enfield-500-deluxe.60842/post-835185

So why is the W800 the best bike in the garage? Because it's newer that Yam and Bullet? More reliable? More modern? Yes to those but there's more. More polite than an XS650 but nice power delivery and good handling so gives a very enjoyable ride.

The Interceptor is still newer and more modern so does Polly need to move aside and give up her Best Bike crown?

I dunno. Best bike is the one yer riding . . .

Last edited:
Have managed out a few times in the past few days. Yesterday, was out on both W800 and Interceptor. So how is the comparison going?

Uhm, no conclusions yet.

The Interceptor sounds great. Especially when I give it a bit of throttle to pass a lorry. More throaty than the Kawasaki. Feels more powerful, but that is probably not true.

The foot-pegs have slightly annoying brackets. It's hard to describe, but here goes - they attach to the frame, then curve down and out to the peg itself. I like to tuck in on a bike, grip tank twixt knees, but that also means feet close against the frame - but then the curve part is under my instep pushing it outwards.

Suspension? On smooth roads, the bike has perfect manners. Good smooth progress, very secure, I said that you don't even notice the suspension. But on a bumpy road, you do! The choppiness I talked about seems to give me blurred vision. That's only a slight exaggeration, I would definitely like to make improvements. Today, was able to establish what has been fitted. Shocks by Hagon, made specifically for the RE 650s, to Hitchcocks spec, 20mm shorter than stock, adjustable spring pre-load and damping. What I thought were emulators in the forks (I think PO thought the same) are in fact pre-load adjusters, again sold by Hitchcocks. Looks like they have been wound well in, so I will try winding 'em out and see ow that goes.

So at the moment, the W800 is doing well by the comparison. I'm much more used to it, of course, but easier to use.

We'll see what a few changes and adjustments do to the RE.

The foot-pegs have slightly annoying brackets. It's hard to describe, but here goes - they attach to the frame, then curve down and out to the peg itself. I like to tuck in on a bike, grip tank twixt knees, but that also means feet close against the frame - but then the curve part is under my instep pushing it outwards.
That's exactly the same complaint the Zack Courts from Revzilla had when he did his Daily Rider test.

Have managed out a few times in the past few days. Yesterday, was out on both W800 and Interceptor. So how is the comparison going?

Uhm, no conclusions yet.

The Interceptor sounds great. Especially when I give it a bit of throttle to pass a lorry. More throaty than the Kawasaki. Feels more powerful, but that is probably not true.

Suspension? On smooth roads, the bike has perfect manners. Good smooth progress, very secure, I said that you don't even notice the suspension. But on a bumpy road, you do! The choppiness I talked about seems to give me blurred vision. That's only a slight exaggeration, I would definitely like to make improvements. Today, was able to establish what has been fitted. Shocks by Hagon, made specifically for the RE 650s, to Hitchcocks spec, 20mm shorter than stock, adjustable spring pre-load and damping. What I thought were emulators in the forks (I think PO thought the same) are in fact pre-load adjusters, again sold by Hitchcocks. Looks like they have been wound well in, so I will try winding 'em out and see ow that goes.

So at the moment, the W800 is doing well by the comparison. I'm much more used to it, of course, but easier to use.

We'll see what a few changes and adjustments do to the RE.
A test ride of any bike is always a little dubious, especially if our heart & mind is set to owning ‘that bike’. Probably more true of a brand new product when your heart is set over you mind. Ownership always throws up some foibles along the way often Ignored on the test run. Most things we can adjust to and live with. This is a great comparison Raymond of two similar yet very different machines. I’m loving this so far.

Last couple days, playing with the suspension. I feel things have been set much too stiff.

I wanted to soften the back. Investigation showed the pre-load has been set to the softest of the three positions, so I left that alone, but fiddled with the damper screw (4mm Allen key). Due to circumstances, I have now lost the position they had been set to. Not to worry, turned the screw all the way anti-clockwise, then in two full turns, on both shocks. That will have reduced the damping from how it had been and at least both shocks are set the same. Hagons claim that all settings give a configured blend of compression and rebound damping.

Today, played with the front, where the pre-load adjusters had been wound a long way in, so I wound them all the way out for minimum preload.

Just back from a short test ride. Used the seven-mile loop - short stretch of A68 trunk road, few miles along a minor A road then turned off through Bowden village and back home down the bumpy B6398 road. Wish the bloody weather would warm up a bit - decidedly parky and since we got home there's been a hail shower.

Initial impressions - the bike feels much better. While I was out, words like transformed came to mind but I need to go out on a few more roads.

Interestingly, talking to my brother-in-law yesterday, he said one of the m/c magazines does an occasional feature day at a racetrack where readers are invited to bring their bike and have the suspension assessed and adjusted by suspension experts. He said one of the experts reckons that 99% of the readers' bikes have the suspension set far too stiff. Most people, according to this bloke, fit adjustable suspension components and promptly wind everything up to full, thereby ruining the bike's handling. So his job is mostly backing off damping and spring preload . . .

He said one of the experts reckons that 99% of the readers' bikes have the suspension set far too stiff. Most people, according to this bloke, fit adjustable suspension components and promptly wind everything up to full, thereby ruining the bike's handling

Yeah I think there is this misconception that having extremely stiff suspension will make the bike handle more sharply, but it’s hard to ride a bike that’s trying to buck you off on a bumpy road! 😄

Yeah I think there is this misconception that having extremely stiff suspension will make the bike handle more sharply, but it’s hard to ride a bike that’s trying to buck you off on a bumpy road! 😄
My XS650 forks are backed out. All of them. My SH has 15W fork oil in it. I need to switch it to 10W so it can better suck up a bump. @Raymond, I’m picking up what you’re laying down.

Back