1200 cc xs

Jayel, thanks for the blast from the past, I remember buying that issue:D. That article must have made a massive impression on me as I have been hooked ever since! Wonder if any of those motors/bikes are still with us?.

I wish Yamaha would produce this prototype and send it to the States, I'd buy one.

XS-V1.jpg

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...esnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQsAQwAA&biw=818&bih=535

Last edited:
For those of you not aware of the greatest bike never to make it to US shores, my other TWIN

Attachments

• trx850.jpg
    trx850.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Classic, if your talking about the TRX, it's got plenty of low end. Sure nothing like a R1, every bit as good as a Ducati 900SS

Actually, the XS wasn't modeled after a triumph and other that being a Vertical Twin and 4 cycle has almost nothing in common with a Triumph. The XS and TX 650s were a design taken directly from the Hosk Motorcycle Company. From Wikipedia: "The XS650 began with the 1955 Hosk SOHC 500 twin. After about 10 years of producing 500 twin, Hosk engineers designed a 650cc twin. Later the Hosk was acquired by Showa Corporation, and in 1960 Yamaha had bought Showa with Hosks early design of 650cc twin."

Vertical Twin engines predate Triumph, BSA and Norton vertical twins and were used by dozens of early motorcycle manufacturers worldwide.

Unlike most of the various brit twins, the Hosk/Showa/Yamaha 650 had cases that split from top to bottom instead of side to side. The Hosk design came out in 1958, the Triumph Bonneville t-120 that most people think Yamaha copied came out in 1959. Turns out these two motorcycles are very different beasts and if anyone was doing any imitation it was Triumph as the Hosk/Showa/Yamaha unit construction engine was first built in 1958 and Triumph didn't use unit construction until 1963.

Not that I want to take anything away from brit twins (I love 'em!) I'm just trying to get the history straight. If anything, the XS has more in common with the 1955 thru 1959 Indian Motorcycle 700cc vertical twin engines built by Enfield and shipped to Indian in the USA to replace the Indian V-twins. Here's a photo of the Enfield Interceptor that used the same engine as the Indian Chief and Scout:

800px-Jamieaaron734.jpg

Fact is: Everybody copies everybody.

Yeah yeah, I'm well aware of the actual history of these machines, and good on ya for bringing it up. It does need to be revisited from time to time so as to keep the newbies in touch with the history of these fine bikes.
I still stand by what I said though, the XS is STYLED on Triumph/BSA's of the 60's.

Attachments

• bonni.jpg
    bonni.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 225
  • xs1.jpg
    xs1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 198
Yeah yeah, I'm well aware of the actual history of these machines, and good on ya for bringing it up. It does need to be revisited from time to time so as to keep the newbies in touch with the history of these fine bikes.
I still stand by what I said though, the XS is STYLED on Triumph/BSA's of the 60's.

Which were styled after the Enfields of the 1950s. Everybody copies everybody. :thumbsup:

Back