130 90 16 seems small

sluginxlt

xs6-fiddy
Reaction score
I i ordered some shinko 712's and when they got here the new 130/90/16 looks a lot smaller diameter than the original tire that only said mt90 16 on the side. 130/90/16 is the correct normal size isn't it?

I am pretty sure a MT90 is a bigger tire. I had a parts bike with a mt90 and it barely cleared the swingarm. 130/90/16 is the stock size.

I i ordered some shinko 712's and when they got here the new 130/90/16 looks a lot smaller diameter than the original tire that only said mt90 16 on the side. 130/90/16 is the correct normal size isn't it?

MT90 and 130/90 are considered the same size. Many companies are now re-labeling their 130/90's as MT90's.

actual tire dimensions will also vary between manufacturers, meaning just because 2 tires are labeled 130/90 doesn't mean they will be the same ACTUAL size. everything from overall circumference and max width will vary between brands

DSC_2002.jpg

while we are on the subject, what is the largest width tire that will fit the stock swingarm?

it really isnt a question of the swingarm, but it is the clearance for the chain that decides how wide of a tire you can put on. I heard you can put a 140 on if you switch to a 520 chain and shave the side of the tire down a bit. And really, going up to a 140 really isn't going to give you any performance gain at all.

it really isnt a question of the swingarm, but it is the clearance for the chain that decides how wide of a tire you can put on. I heard you can put a 140 on if you switch to a 520 chain and shave the side of the tire down a bit. And really, going up to a 140 really isn't going to give you any performance gain at all.

you can also flip the countershaft sprocket and shim the rear sprocket for more tire/chain clearance if necessary. keep in mind that switching tire sizes can also affect suspension geometry, weight distribution and handling characteristics

PO put mt90 on the bike and unbolted the torque arm so it could fit. So when he hit the back brake everything broke. It was a Coker brand tire and was way to big. It has very round sides, but a flat tread. It's an old school looking tire. It actually looks bigger than another mt90 I have. I have 130/90/16 Metzler on now and it fits great, but that Coker, man.

140/90-16 Metzler ME-88. Stock mags. 1/4-1/2 " clear of sidewall.

Attachments

• rsz_bike_done_015.jpg
    rsz_bike_done_015.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 676
I ran Avon's they aare a little wider thanothers 130/90 is all you canuse the wheels on these bikes are just to damn narrrow. Check any tire mfg. web site for wheel width reuired. Dunlop gives three min, ideal and max.

is the tire your comparing it too mounted to a rim? and the one you just got in the mail isnt mounted....?? that makes a pretty big diff

I had an MU90, a 140/90 Dunlop Elite II on the rear for awhile. I needed to grind a bit off both sides to get it to not rub on one side or the other of the swingarm. It only rubbed on the chain on right turns. It's about as big as you can fit in a stock swingarm.
As others have said, the size of the tire varies from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as model to model in one manufacturer. Mounted and aired up a tire is bigger than when unmounted.

Back