140/90-16 rear

Will Wu

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post from Bangkok, Thailand.

Currently rebuilding a ‘80 Special. It currently comes with the 130/90-16 tires. If I would like to put a 140/90-16 onto the mag wheel, does it makes any difference? (Read about how the rim would actually squeeze the wider tire and made it taller?) What modification would I need to make to the stock swingarm and in order to run it properly?

Thank you in advance.

welcome to the forum Will . I'm afraid half the xs650 World are probably still asleep at this hour lol.

I am interested in seeing the advice about this myself. I suspect that a wider tyre won't just effect the height of the tyre and therefore alter the gear ratios it would also have an effect on how well the tyre stays on the rim .

I seem to remember a thread somewhere about tyres wider than 130 rub on the swing arm so you would probably need to upgrade your swing arm.
Have a look through the articles in the TECH section and do a search of the forum for wide tyres and see what you can find whilst you wait for some answers
http://www.xs650.com/threads/pirelli-mt66-140-90-16.19803/#post-192668

I have run 140 90 16 avon venom before with no adverse effect, fitted between the swing arm just, compared to to the rubbish tyre that was on it before it was a marked improvement, but then anything would have been, I had a 750cc engine with 18 tooth front sprocket didn't notice anything in the gearing either.
Think you would have to look at the tyre you are thinking of getting as some are a lot wider than others when it gets to the tread

Thank you for the replies. I have been reading different threads about this topic. Most said anything beyond 130 is gonna rub, some said need to trim the edge of the tire wall a bid while some said 140 fits but just. Probably depends on the brand as well. Just have a thing for slightly wider tires. Not the sports bike wide, just a bit more.

A 5.00 tire is a 130.
I had 140 wide tire on my 75. It rubbed a little bit on the brake stay.
If you look at the edge of the tire, a ridge sticks out from the side wall. This ridge was what rubbed.
With the bike up on the center stand, idling in 1st gear I used my angle grinder to grind the edge of the ridge down enough to clear the brake stay.
The 140 tire will stand a bit taller but I doubt you will notice much difference.
Leo

Hi all, this is my first post from Bangkok, Thailand.
Currently rebuilding a ‘80 Special. It currently comes with the 130/90-16 tires. If I would like to put a 140/90-16 onto the mag wheel, does it makes any difference? (Read about how the rim would actually squeeze the wider tire and made it taller?) What modification would I need to make to the stock swingarm and in order to run it properly?
Thank you in advance.

Hi Will and welcome,
like they all said, some 140/90-16s will fit, some won't and some that won't fit can be modified to fit.
What you can try is adding two links to the bike's drive chain so the wheel can be pulled back so that
a marginal tire has a bit more swingarm width to clear better.

Shinko's tend to be wider than other brands of the same size. So......you could settle for a Shinko 130/90, and it would be wider than most 130's. Kinda in between 130 and 140.

Scott

Back