16 x 5.0 tyres (Avon SM mk2)

wiganmatt

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone converted the front wheel to a 16" wheel??? Also do any of you know if you can fit 16 x 5.0 tyres front and back with a standard frame, swing arm and forks???

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Hi All,
Has anyone converted the front wheel to a 16" wheel??? Also do any of you know if you can fit 16 x 5.0 tyres front and back with a standard frame, swing arm and forks???
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Hi Matt and welcome,
I've seen 16" fronts on sidecar bikes but only in conjunction with an Earles fork conversion.
5"-16 rear is stock size on an XS650 Special so it'll also fit on a Standard.
But a 5"-16 front gets dodgy.
I don't see a 16" rear wheel as an easy fit in an XS650 front fork; even if you sleeved the bearings down to 17mm the hub would be too wide.
Lacing a 16" rim onto a front hub would work although a 5" tyre would have front mudguard clearance issues.
So yeah, it could be done but it'd handle all funny on two back tyres, eh?
[edit]
Grafting in a 16" front wheel out of a Honda VF750F with it's 100/90-16 front tire would work and also quicken the steering.

Hi Matt and welcome,
I've seen 16" fronts on sidecar bikes but only in conjunction with an Earles fork conversion.
5"-16 rear is stock size on an XS650 Special so it'll also fit on a Standard.
But a 5"-16 front gets dodgy.
I don't see a 16" rear wheel as an easy fit in an XS650 front fork; even if you sleeved the bearings down to 17mm the hub would be too wide.
Lacing a 16" rim onto a front hub would work although a 5" tyre would have front mudguard clearance issues.
So yeah, it could be done but it'd handle all funny on two back tyres, eh?
[edit]
Grafting in a 16" front wheel out of a Honda VF750F with it's 100/90-16 front tire would work and also quicken the steering.

Hi Fredintoon,

Cheers for the information matey :thumbsup:

Ive had a new set of wheels built now using the standard hubs, I had the hubs cleaned up and then powder coated first. I then had a new set of blank 16 x 3" rims pressed so they could be drilled out at the correct pattern and angle to allow for the custom SS spokes to be laced in. My Avon SM mk2 16 x 5.0 tyres turned up today so ill be getting them fitted sometime next week and then the moment of truth next weekend when I try them on the bike!!

Ive got another thread on here of the build

Back