18 inch rear wheel interchangeability

Popetoteror

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am new to this forum and I am looking to buy a XS 650, in Sweden it seems as the most common model for sale has the 16inch mag wheel with drum brake.

I would like to have a 18 inch rear wheel. Which wheels can I use without a lot of changes, just to bolt on?

I have seen that 18 inch rear mag wheels from Yamaha SR 400 and 500 is plentiful, would these fit?

Any 650 18" rear spoke drum wheel will just bolt on. That would be the easiest. The SR400/500 wheel won't work without modding. Axle sizes are different for one thing.

I used an XS500 rear mag on my bike, do not know if the SR is easily adaptable. On mine, it required getting the correct wheel bearings, cutting the spacer inside the rear hub for the bearings to the correct length, removing .400 inch from the chain side spacer and machining a .400 inch thick spacer for the brake side. I also had to use a .180 spacer between the stock right side XS650 spacer and the brake caliper 'arm' to finish it up.

The XS500 also has a 4 bolt x 110mm pattern for the rear sprocket meaning the XS650 6 bolt sprocket wouldn't work, the XS500 sprockets were only available down to (IIRC) 42 teeth and I needed 34 teeth. I had to modify a Honda CB500T sprocket by reaming the mount holes larger, that way I could run the 530 chain. I don't know if the 520 conversion would make sprockets any easier to find.

I'm in the process of trying to adapt an XS500 spoke rear. Why? Because it has a cush drive mount for the sprocket. It looks to be an easy swap. Axle sizes are the same and sprockets look to be as well (6 bolt mount).

That's odd. The XS500 rear I got is a 4 bolt sprocket. Or at least I was told it's an XS500 wheel. It seems the XS400's came with 1.85 wide rims and the 500's with 2.15 and this is definitely 2.15 wide. EDIT: It's a cush hub drive, too.

streettrackerleft.jpg

The mags are 4 bolt sprocket mounts, don't know why. The spoke wheels had 6 just like the 650 .....

TX500Rear.jpg

I feel the cush drive is a good upgrade for the 650. Anything we can do to help alleviate the stress on those clutch hub springs is a good thing. For me, the price was right. I serviced my dealer's computer and he let me run amuck in his boneyard, lol. I scrounged several wheels and a handful of little parts .....

BoneYardPicks.jpg

The only 650 back there is just a bare frame. I snatched the sidestand and chain adjuster stops from it.

I just adapted a solid SR500 wheel. I had to use different bearings, make axle spacers to center the wheel properly and use the smallest rear sprocket I could find (after searching high and low). It is a 40 tooth, too low for the low rev'n highway cruisin' crowd but should, with 18 tooth front, be suitable for my dual sport scramblin' purposes

Yes, I consider that the major problem with the SR wheel, you can't fit a small enough sprocket. The SR wheels do have a cush drive though, or should. The only one from that wheel "family" that has a solid mount sprocket is the TT500 dirt bike rear wheel. I guess Yamaha figured the dirt would provide the cushioning, lol. I recently acquired an XT500 rear wheel to do a spoke wheel conversion on my SR. That is the rear wheel of choice for the conversion. Bolts right in and has a cush drive.

Still working on it, spacers not made yet... The bearings I bought to adapt
SR500 rear wheel from 17 to 20 mm axle were 6204 & 6304 bearings, sealed ...

Upate: Unfortunately the above mentioned bearings did not fit the SR500 cast 18" wheels after all... I got the advise from another forum... Maybe they will fit the spoke SR500 18" wheels?

Last edited:
hi, i think im on topic here. was wondering, swaping my spoke wheels to mag, xs650 (maybe differ year for the wheels). is it bolt on? or need to be modded?
tnx

WARNING: I finally got around to swapping the bearings on the cast 18" rear wheel that I was going to use and found the bearings did not fit. These are bearings I mentioned above. I found the info on another forum... Maybe they fit spoke wheels? I'm abandoning the 18" wheel because the bearings are wimpy while the XS650 stock cast wheel bearings are over built... I now have an 18" Continental TKC Twinduro tire I won't be using...

hi, i think im on topic here. was wondering, swaping my spoke wheels to mag, xs650 (maybe differ year for the wheels). is it bolt on? or need to be modded?
tnx

I think the '81 drum brake mag would work for you.
The disc brake mags would require the swingarm and master cylinder bracket?

Back