19 inch drum brake??

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Me again, i cant afford a 19 inch disc brake conversion kit so i was wondering if i could lace my rear 16inch drum up to my 19inch rim? Any ideas folks?:confused:

I am doing one of those right now actually.

Figure on $125.00 for spokes from Buchanans and whatever you use for a rim. I'm using a new Excel Rim for that "dirt track" look and its not cheap...

Omars kit isn't too expensive when you figure in spokes, rim, lacing (if you can't do it yourself) truing (again, can you do it yourself) and such...

Sure why not, you just need to figure out the spoke lengths. Do a write up and you will be an XS650.com guru just like that!

well maybe one day ill b a guru, but not right now. I was just going to use the oem 19 stock wheel of an 81 xs650, and the drum of the rear tire, but im going to b poor spending all my money on u punkskalar with that rephasing kit, you think i could just call buchanan's and ask to see if they know the specs and info?

Calling Buchanan's when building a wheel is always a good idea. Great folks over there, and always helpful...

Just remember that if you are using stock 19" front Hoop, that the holes were drilled at a different angle for the smaller hub, and won't perfectly line up with the larger diameter rear drum hub.

Calling Buchanan's when building a wheel is always a good idea. Great folks over there, and always helpful...

Just remember that if you are using stock 19" front Hoop, that the holes were drilled at a different angle for the smaller hub, and won't perfectly line up with the larger diameter rear drum hub.

How much of a problem is that? Is it a safety issue or one of asthetics?

-=PO

How much of a problem is that? Is it a safety issue or one of asthetics?

-=PO

I have had a few wheels laced up that is was "ok" but not perfect, but some combinations its just a terrible setup. You really don't want your nipples in a twist (see what I did there :laugh:) as it can cause binding in the spoke threads and any potential issue you may have with a wheelset should be alleviated...

Safety first with wheels, breaks, frames, pretty much the whole build.... :thumbsup:

ya i called them and they told me that like you said i would have to drill the holes out for the drum to fit, so im just going to go with this weird mock up that i made in paint
201103152134202.jpg:bike:

my rear tire is gong to be back all the way also, in this pic its a little over a half in the axel plate towards the engine

Back