Sold / Found / Inactive - 1971 xs1-b Tampa Florida USA $6800 USD

ThomasADixon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to this forum. I just bought a 650 xsb-1. I am absolutely in love with this bike -its the most fun bike I've ever owned. ( I've had a Honda CB 350 and a Bonneville T100)

Sadly the kick starting of it is causing me a right knee problem. I have to sell it. It is garage kept and has been its entire life.

It is in near perfect (9 out of 10) condition with 11,500 miles on it. It has a beast of a motor and it is absolutely beautiful.

Is this a good way to sell it? I would be pleased if it went to an admirer.

Ask @gggGary to move this thread to the classies. You'll need to select either "Make Offer" or "For Sale." If you select for sale, you'll need to include an asking price.
Of course... you ain't sellin' nothin' here without pics... ;)
Lotsa pics with lotsa details. Good luck.

Thankyou all for your help. I am an older guy, this is my first forum encounter and I have a sore as heck right knee
from kicking over that incredible bike. I should say it starts first kick, but it is still killing me.

I have to figure out how to attach files. However, I bought it from Bring a Trailer about two weeks ago. There are a dozens of photos of it
on that site that can be accessed by going to the categories section. I have tried a number of techniques in kicking starting it;
and a knee brace as well but it is causing me swelling and I fear knee damage if I continue. I underestimated the compression of this motor.

My Technique has been to leave it on the kickstand, left foot on the left foot peg, right foot on the kick starter. Then I raise up as high as I can, drop and kick thru. At the bottom, I tend to have to overextend. If this bike only had electric start...

I bought it from Bring a Trailer about two weeks ago. There are a dozens of photos of it
on that site that can be accessed by going to the categories section.
This it?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-yamaha-xs1-b-2/

Untitled.png

Thats it! My Baby.

This is breaking my heart as this style of bike had me drooling when I was 16, thus the CB350 and subsequently the Bonneville T100.

But this one is (like I say) is nearly perfect. I can't do better than the pictures on the BAT site. I am 67 and I weigh 160 lbs dripping weight.

I could deal with the kick starting if i didn't overextend my knee every time.

Thats it! My Baby.

This is breaking my heart as this style of bike had me drooling when I was 16, thus the CB350 and subsequently the Bonneville T100.

But this one is (like I say) is nearly perfect. I can't do better than the pictures on the BAT site. I am 67 and I weigh 160 lbs dripping weight.

I could deal with the kick starting if i didn't overextend my knee every time.
Nice bike!
Perhaps you should consider a slightly newer XS with electric start? Maybe even work a trade here...
I'm 67 and 160 dripping wet also. My right knee is aftermarket and the left is fast coming due for overhaul... so kicking is also beyond me. I have an '80SG with electric start. In the 3 or 4 yrs I've had it back on the road, the elec start has never failed me.
Justa thought....

Calendar 5.jpg

Hi Thomas:
I feel (and share) your pain about kicking a bike. I had a "total knee" job done on my right side totalled knee in Jan. 2019 and the new one works well - but I don't want to risk messing it up, so kicking is also out of bounds for me.

I agree with Jim on this issue - you have a spectacularly nice bike there and so a trade for a newer XS650 should not be at all difficult to arrange. Many people feel that the '77-'79 "Standards" are the nicest models, but for guys who are "less tall" a '79-83 Special might be just the ticket because they have a lower seat height. The engines and transmissions on all '74 and newer XS650s are the same - the only difference being that the 1980+ bikes have an electronic ignition. The bikes 1973 and earlier had some detail differences in the engines and as you know, the earliest bikes did not have an electric starter.

Jim's beautiful bike is a Special and my 1976 XS650C is a Standard and they both do have electric starts which work just fine (see below). Your bike is a Standard and the frame size and riding position of all of them is essentially the same. The Standard was the only model from 1970-78 and then in 1979 you could get a Standard or a Special and then only Specials were available after 1979.

FYI, since you live in Florida, I need to tell you that the white crap on the ground is a form of frozen water that we call "snow". ;)

My_1976_Yamaha_XS650C_Dec-2016-LHS.jpg

One thing is certain, you cannot beat an XS650 for a fun to ride, sounds like a bike-not-a-blender motorcycle and with an electric start, they are absolutely super machines. Now, some people may try to tell you that the XS650 electric start is troublesome - and while the starter can be a bit noisy on some bikes, the fix is not expensive or difficult and if the bike needs it, we can talk you through it - no sweat.

Anyhow - we are delighted to have you on the forum and so let's see about getting you onto a bike better suited to your capabilities.

Oh, and welcome - from Canada's sunny southern coast near Harrow, Ontario!

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks Pete, Jim and Boog,

I love that idea. I like the height of my bike (Standard) so it sounds like I need to stay with an xs2 between '72 and '79? Of course with an electric starter.

I did find the bike I love out of all of this exercise at least. I certainly will open this up to anyone that is interested in a trade (w/ electric starter) or sale.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-yamaha-xs1-b-2/

This is the link; doesn't seem to be automatic when you click on it so you may have to type it. Jim has it up in his post up above and his works when you click on it.

I remember the white crap.

Thank you all again.

Back