Sold / Found / Inactive - 1971 xs1-b Tampa Florida USA $6800 USD

Have you tried using you left foot to kick it? It may seem awkward but
Uh, 'scuse me but the dude in the picture is kicking his shovel with his right leg and using his left to swing down for some momentum. Yes, you can kick a 6-5-0 with your left leg. It's easy if the bike is on the center stand and a real P.I.T.A. if you're stalled in traffic.

Some pics of your bike.

Beautiful bike in excellent condition. Shame to find it doesn't suit you.

No argument on the price, you deserve to get what it is worth.

It might pay to resell on BAT or advertise elsewhere as well as on here..........You will find most who buy on here are looking for bikes they can do up so prices they are willing to buy at, are not usually top $ and your bike is worth top $.

Good luck on your sale

1648072899672.png
1648073231909.png
1648073351793.png
1648073516584.png
1648073606881.png
1648073960236.png
1648074062853.png

Last edited:
I don't know how it Works in the states ..But a well know dealer here takes on sales for
Commission ( not sure if it is the right English word )
He takes on the bike for selling it and gets a percentage on the sales price.
In an agreement with the owner, Time period and min sales price.

He does that for pretty much any bike but where it has the biggest importance is when it comes to
" Exhibition " / " Investment " grade Motorcycles
He once showed me 2 old Harleys that was sold to Museums for big bucks
He has the connections and sometimes gets asked I suppose for the more rare bikes.

Knows where they are ..And can close a deal that is better for the seller even after the commission fee.
fex those two Harleys if I remember right it was 20 ies Models
You cant sell those at the Block for the sums he was able to get. In that case In another Country.

By the pictures this is a Mint condition bike and those are commanding a premium in some markets for some buyers
Especially in Germany.
I dont think it would be sold here for $ 6800

it's an awfully good looking bike, Jan_P - I'm originally Danish (now living in Florida), i know in DK they sell in the mid to low 40K DDK, that's pretty close to the asking price for this one if you convert to dollars. I have bike i could trade with electric starts (3 '75 XSB and 3 '78 XSE) but none are in the condition like this, they are original and in very good shape but chrome and paint not as sharp as this one.

Thank you Sirs; Niels, Jan and Mr. Skull,

Your input is very kind and appreciated.

Mr Jan; if you can find me that name I would appreciate that as well. I have a friend in Sweden - I could work that into a visit.

Mr Skull; thanks for the pictures from the BAT site. I am Boner (my name on BAT).

While I am fortunately not pressed to sell it - its not doing me (or anyone else) any good sitting around either. I thought I would bring it to this forum while I try and figure out what to do. I might take it back to BAT - I like that forum as well.

As nice of a bike as this bike looks to be, to drive it is the real pleasure. The handling and power are superb. It feels as crisp and tight and strong as if it just rolled off the show room floor (51 years ago!). When I stop at a light people may roll down their windows to ask me about it. If I stop to get gas or a beer somewhere people come over to admire it. And then I start it up (if i dont wrench my knee) and that sound is perfect, low rumble and powerful. So cool. It is a head turner because of its understated style. I feel like I am sitting on the back of my own tamed pet Tiger. Same color even.

My knee is feeling better this evening so I am feeling a little more hopeful tonight (had a glass of wine too). I will try working my leg out a little over the next week and building up some strength. I am athletic even for my age but this is a different call then my usual swimming and bicycling routine. I need some mass and a leg of steel for this! It would be worth it if it is possible for my old bod to get back on this baby. I will report on my progress.

Thanks for the interest.

Yes factory timing is a bit close to kickback territory. I'd try retarding a few degrees. It's not like we are track racing, right?
A long time (no longer with us) member was very adament about the advantages of dropping the timing back a bit.
I rode a 1970 XS1 in good nick for about 3,000 miles last year, often didn't even have to jump up once it was warm, could just flat foot kick
aaand
i'm 67 174 lbs and in average condition for the condition I'm in.
not an arnie schwartz....

Boy thanks alot gggGary ! - and thanks to whoever is helping modify my title line.

...had a nice swim this morning, pushed off the wall extra hard, knee is not hurting, though I will get some technical help and get that timing dialed back a little before I even try again. I have the shop manual for this baby and will go to You Tube - combined with your above post I can do this!

Thanks again!

NOTHING against your bike, but kind of a heads up.:
There is a fairly large subset of bikes that LOOK beautiful but have poorly sorted mechanicals and electrics.
Guess what I'm saying is no matter how pretty and "what the seller said" some basic checks of mechanical and electrical systems on any new to you bike are a good policy and may save you some headaches.

Boy thanks alot gggGary ! - and thanks to whoever is helping modify my title line.

...had a nice swim this morning, pushed off the wall extra hard, knee is not hurting, though I will get some technical help and get that timing dialed back a little before I even try again. I have the shop manual for this baby and will go to You Tube - combined with your above post I can do this!

Thanks again!
Tom, you keep adding points to your likability in my view; ride bikes and swims. I have been know to
USNRS.jpg
do a little swimming myself...

Read up on advance rod lube consider changing to electronic ignition. Points can be made to work correctly my 70 was still using points, but it's getting to be a bit of a lost art. Go ahead and start a thread about setting timing on your bike in the garage forum, supply lots of pics, we can help get you through this.
Some good reading on ignition https://www.xs650.com/threads/final...setbacks-what-oil-plugs-etc.61225/post-729379

Thanks Mr. B and gggGary,

I will begin my study; I dont know if it still has points or if somebody changed to electronic - easy enough to check. And I will move to the Garage Forum.

Sounds good - and pictures....lots of pictures.

Did anyone mention that we like pictures?

hehehehhe

Thats it! My Baby.

This is breaking my heart as this style of bike had me drooling when I was 16, thus the CB350 and subsequently the Bonneville T100.

But this one is (like I say) is nearly perfect. I can't do better than the pictures on the BAT site. I am 67 and I weigh 160 lbs dripping weight.

I could deal with the kick starting if i didn't overextend my knee every time.
hi thomas. your over extending your knee because you are starting your kick right at the top of the compression stroke. heres a tip works for me push the kick start right to the bottom of the kick start stroke then let it up a couple of notches 2 or 3 notches you will feel the kicker engage then kick start it from lower position that way you wont over extend your knee.

hi thomas. your over extending your knee because you are starting your kick right at the top of the compression stroke. heres a tip works for me push the kick start right to the bottom of the kick start stroke then let it up a couple of notches 2 or 3 notches you will feel the kicker engage then kick start it from lower position that way you wont over extend your knee.

Now THAT is a good suggestion Fred - which I am going to swipe!

Thanks for sharing!

Pete

Thanks Fred - will try that tomorrow as well. I have retarded the timing which ahs reduced the kick back. With your suggestion I may be able to lick the kickback problem completely. I am not sure I can tell the various positions you are talking about - but Ill gt on it and practice.

Thanks

Back