1972 brake lever removal

corbshere

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1972 xs 650 .....The master cylender plunger assembly needs replacing. I pulled the brake line,removed the brake switch,took the assembly off the handle bar,now I can't get the brake lever off the master cylender so I can get at the plunger mechanism. Aparently the factory pressed a bronze/brass sleave into the lever pivot mounting hole and threaded that. So with that bushing in place you cannot get the lever off? I mean put aside the fact that my master cyl.is kaput,if I had a broken brake lever I don't see how they would replace that lever! ? Is there a method to removing this press fit bushing? I wanted to keep it all stock but mikes xs does not offer a stock '72 master cylinder replacement,and i have no where else to turn. any Ideas? help!!:confused:

put the bolt part way back in and you can pull it with pliers (wiggle it) or drive the bushing out from the underside with a punch, then if you carefully remove the insides and clean them you won't need to replace anything (hopefully) rebuilt kits for the early M. cylinder are rare and expensive, 650 central maybe

Last edited:
mikes offers the an early single caliper MC (they may call it a '76) and other than having to retro fit your brake switch...its a great way to go. and its like $55 or so.

yell if you need any info on how I made my brake switch work.

Back