1972 XS2 front forks

GNunezXS-2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am trying to rebuild the forks on my 1972 XS2, but I am having trouble sourcing new fork tubes.
My old fork tubes are badly pitted.

I went ahead and ordered some new fork tubes from mikes XS, item number 27-2002. I hit a bit of a hiccup because my old dampener rod will not fit into the ID of the new fork tube. The dampener has a ring/collar that is about 28mm OD but the new tube has a ID less than that. I am not sure if they sent me the wrong part (the box had the correct part number)
I have looked around and looks like most tubes are 26.25mm ID on the snap ring side.
(http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categories/suspension/fork-tubes/fork-tube-std-yam-34mm.html)

Has anyone else had this issue? I am wondering if there are any tubes out there that will fit the stock (28mm) dampener rod. Will I have to modify the damper rod to make it fit? I guess I could just throw my old tubes back on for now or maybe buy another damper rod?

I attached some images showing this. I also attached an image of the old fork tubes.
PS. I am almost certain my bike had the original fork oil and fork seals in there, its 2021. It was an absolute mess.
image2 (12).jpeg
image1 (19).jpeg
image0 (26).jpeg
Image from iOS (79).jpg
Image from iOS (80).jpg

I can confirm that your damper rod is correct and 28mm is correct.
Until you find something better you can do this: Apply a light oil to a sheet of 400-600 wet/dry sandpaper and hit the pitting with a figure-8 stroking motion with your hand wrapped around the tube. This will bevel the pits so that they don't tear up the seals.

I would contact Mikes.
Is there a slight difference between the length of the old tubes and the new ones?

Hey thank you for the response!

I will definitely try to bevel out the pitting on the old tubes. We are getting some nice weather this week here in Virginia and I would like to enjoy some of that on the bike.

@GLJ Yes, there was a slight difference in length. They also had some additional components near the circlip side. I don't have any images of that right now, but it was the typical spacer, a race of some sorts and a small spring. . .

Most likely those are for a 74-76 XS.

I've contacted mikes XS, so I will just have to wait and see. I am not sure if anyone has successfully ordered a set of fork tubes for a 72 XS2 from them.

Just to give an update. I went back and forth with Mikes XS, but to no avail. I am just returning the tubes they sent me and hope to find somewhere else to buy them. For now my old tubes are going back on. At least I put new fork seals on there.

Did you ever solve this problem? I have come across the exact same problem 28mm valve into a 26mm bore. fork tubes bought from Mikes say 72 XS..

Back