1972 xs650 new to the forum and bike mechanics

Captmandel

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, been lurking for a while. I just picked up an xs2 with numbers matching. Red and white paint scheme. It's going to need a lot of work but I think I have a treasure trove of info here with everyone on the forum. I'm still in transit from Orlando to West Palm. Ill post some pics and more info when I get home. Btw I have the original owners manual, pretty cool! I'm Josh, nice to meet you all.

Hey everyone I got the bike home in one piece which is great because the trailer had no lights, and the license plate flew off the trailer like half way there so we did it with out one. Here are some pics of what I got. The numbers match on the frame and engine. 1972 xs650 (xs2). I am a little overwhelmed because I dont know much about motorcycles, but I know this one doesnt start. I think my first steps are, oil change, spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filters, petcocks,and a good good good cleaning for the gas tank. Hopefully the gas tank is salvageable. I paid 1500 with some extras but nothing super useful. Oh and I think I need to connect the carbs with fuel line or something? I want to get a shop manual, i saw a pretty sweet german one on here but I cant translate. Haynes or clymer??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91975103@N07/

Those are the photos! It was too much of a pain to resize to put on the forum so go to my flickr and check out my new baby.

Thanks in advance!

Ooh boy! That is sweet. Very nice. Are you planning on keeping it stock? I love the old bikes.

nice ride pretty good shape for the year! That tank will need to be cleaned out that would be first on my list of things to do

Use the new to me thread in the tech section. Slow methodical and documented will win the "reliable runner" race every time. Looks like it could go either way, restoration or custom. +3 on the red being one of the best colors.

Saw that on Ebay.....nice job. I have a 72 also with low miles and great shape. Hit me up with any questions you have...I have been replacing/maintaining the originality since I got my baby....Enjoy!

Thanks 5Twins, and everyone else! Just tried to clean the gas tank yesterday and boy that is going to be an endeavor. I do have two questions, I have been searching the forums and cannot find a clear answer. The old bs38 carbs are unlinked. There is a linkage that goes from carb to carb for the choke, what size is that fuel line? is it the same as the fuel intake? And, where do you take a tank to get it professionally cleaned? You guys are going to hate me but i dont think im gonna restore this one :shrug: I probably wont chop it but probably wont keep it stock. I do want to get the tank repainted to the original red and white. Thanks everyone. I might start a build thread so look out! :D

No worries here, Resto-mod is a VERY popular XS genre.
The Basic XS is a great platform, there are lots of tweaks and upgrades that make it a GREAT get out and ride bike 40 years later.

Back