1972 xs650 restomod? [PDX, OR]

Ok. Real life and real work keep getting in the way of my hobbies. Hate that.

Good news is everything is back from powdercoater, and I actually found time to start the final reassembly yesterday. I'm already dying to get back to the shop and finish.

Pics!

Christmas came early
1491364_682282288478977_161590836_o.jpg

Rear swing arm and shocks on
886767_682282295145643_1545882729_o.jpg

Foot pegs on
1415477_682282331812306_1581083669_o.jpg

This is where I stopped yesterday. Still need to shorten the front forks another inch or so.
1512231_682282345145638_1815816266_o.jpg

Couple more things done, and a few hours closer to riding it. I don't care how cold it is!

- Wiring is back in and confirmed all working. Whew! (not in the pics below)
- Shortened the front forks again. Much better fit with that wheel / tire combo.
- Replaced stripped exhaust head studs and put on the HHB exhaust.
- Rear turn signals mounted.

More pics!

1493403_684666944907178_492174796_o.jpg

823464_684666948240511_2065739168_o.jpg

1522592_684666974907175_906449141_o.jpg

Just want to say..this front end, is amazing. I will reference what you did. Thanks for posting the details. Have you gotten it out on the road yet? Would love to know how it handles. Especially compared to a stocker front end if you can describe the Pepsi challenge difference.

Thanks! And yeah I'm going to be doing something pretty similar to the last paint scheme.

To answer your questions:
1. The front end was a couple things. I ebay'd the front end off an rmz250 (triple tree, forks, caliper). I then had classified create the franken-tree which is part rmz250 and part xs650. Then I shortened the springs (still need to take about 1 to 1.5 inches out). Since the stock wheel on the rmz250 is way too big for my application, I found a smaller supermoto wheel that had a similar spoke wheel look. The wheel is from warp9. And.. I just did the back of the napkin math for how much it cost..

$250 rmz parts on ebay + $450 classified swap + $470 warp9 wheel.

The rest of the stuff like clipons and controls (off a zx10) are extra to the swap. You could do risers and use drag bars, or something like that, and keep a lot of the stock components/controls. Let me know if you have any other questions.. I'm happy to share.

2. The original tank is junked. I tried to make that one work so the back of the tank mounts are all gone, etc.

It's not out there yet. I'm hoping to ride it this weekend, weather and build permitting.

What I really wished I had done was to weight the thing before cutting it down.. Whoops.

Great day!

Here's what I got done:

- Rear wheel assembled
- Greased swingarm
- Routed all cabling and hooked up tank
- Drove around for 2.5 hours looking for a brake bleeder valve...
- Adjusted timing (got it close, but not perfect)
- Started playing with carbs (WAY OFF!)

It sounds awesome and it looks awesome. Can't wait to get the engine running right and get some paint on the tank!

Sorry for blurry..
902605_687579137949292_1559044621_o.jpg

Better shot
1415301_687579141282625_1701164926_o.jpg

First off, it runs!

Ahem. Now.. onto the 10 hours work with the last hour being sheer frustration.

So today, I got in there and started trying to sync the carbs. I got them "close". I might end up taking it to someone that has more experience with this, just to be sure I didn't mess anything up with the top end rebuild, pma + pamco, lectron carbs, etc.

After that, I started with some fiddly stuff that had been bothering me. Wires not running the right paths, position of clip ons, blah blah.

The two last things that I took care of were bleeding the front brake and finished up the wiring for the rear turn signals and brakes. These things went well.

So at this point, I'm thinking.. Is that it? Can I ride this thing now?

... Answer: no.

I went to shift into first (thankfully had hand on brake when I put the clutch in) and it hopped and stalled immediately. Wtf.. I eventually traced this back down to the worm gear not engaging the pushrod. Well, I thought I could just adjust this and be good to go. As it turns out after reading this forum, the 5/16" stupid ball bearing was missing and that's why the adjustment was just so ridiculous on the worm gear. I did eventually get the adjustment done and rode the bike for like 10 feet before I stalled it.

At this point, I was so exhausted and figured I'd end up doing something dumb and dropping it, so I put it back inside the shop and am going to take it for a ride around the block tomorrow.

One additional thing I found out today is that I already need to change out the oil after the rebuild. So.. once around the block then an oil change and filter cleaning.

Pic!
1540471_693221740718365_1041148539_o.jpg

Woo! Took it out again tonight for a ride around the block. It's peppier than it was before by a decent margin. Probably due to the lectrons + 1/4 turn throttle.

Things left:

- "waterproof" box using gaskets and electrical tape or something like that
- wire license plate bracket
- adjust chain tensioners
- misc missing hardware

So close to done.. and right in the dead of winter when Portland is about to open up and rain for the next 6 months.. :banghead:

Thanks. I'm super antsy at work. Want to go fiddle some more..

I should probably just wait til I get the incoming package from mikes xs.

_Edit_

Btw, I managed to lose the pinch bolt for the kickstart level. I couldn't find the bolt by itself on mikes xs. Does anyone know the size or where I can buy one?

Last edited:
Looks GREAT!

Can I ask where you go the RFID from? I was thinking of doing that to mine.......

Edit: I read your whole thread, nevermind!

Double Edit!!: On watwrproofing electronics, buy some Plastidip. I use it ALL the time in my R/c trucks to waterproof them to the point where I lose signal because they are too deep under the mud!! Mostly COMPLETELY submerged!! Works like a charm! Best stuff for waterproofing electronics IMO!

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Last edited:
How has nobody asked about all the other cool vehicles in that shop there? Do tell!

Is that front tire a shinko 705? If so either you or I put ours on backwards...

Cool build!

Took it out and did a couple miles today. I need to figure out the tuning badly.. it's all over the place.

@Airwolfie Thanks for the idea on plastidipping. I'll give that a try first.

@troopthrowback I'm pretty sure it's on right.. hmm. But you got me looking. Guy on this thread says he has it mounted backwards and it looks opposite of mine http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829901 . It's the internet.. so I can't be 100% positive he's right either.

So the other cars..

I share shop space with 2 other guys. We're all in the middle of a project car, or in one case, 4.

One of the guys used to do this for a living for a while. He's doing a rollcage and mounting an engine in the red fury, a gasser in the blue rambler and the metal cab is going to be his personal tube chassis drag race "truck". The fury is going to be a beast at the drags.. There's also a fj40 land cruiser truck tucked away in the back. That thing is his baby and is in show condition. He wants to start custom building them for people. Guy's got skills and I'm lucky to have him in the shop to fix my screw ups or pick his brain.

I dont know if you can see the red 62 rambler wagon in any of the pics, but that is the other guy's project car and he's in the middle of swapping a 5.3L LS into it. It already has a mustang II suspension, so that swap is going pretty fast.

It looks like this but is completely red (and missing an engine currently)
IMG_2022.jpg

So for my mustang, if we have any serious Ford die hard enthusiasts.. you should probably skip reading the next part. I started my swapping the front suspension to the mustang II to get rid of the shock towers. Now I'm swapping a 6.0L LS block out of an escalade into it. Just got the engine mounts and headers tacked in tonight actually.

Engine getting test fit the first time.
665363_484023044971570_365674410_o.jpg

MII Suspension
178138_484023134971561_1488716539_o.jpg

Back