1972 XS650 XS2 Gas Tank NEEDED

Carter5450

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok so it turns out this tank that's on the 72 frame I just got doesn't fit, like not even a little, I've been searching ebay and looked through here and there's no recent posts with anyone selling one, so if anyone here has one they'd be willing to let go, I'd be extremely happy.
IMG_0739.PNG

I've attached a photo of the tank that's on the bike now for reference

All help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Early tanks are hard to come by and expensive. Except for the frame and maybe the rear fender, just about everything on your bike is non-1972. So, it's not like you are doing a resto and really need an expensive rare tank. I think you'd be better of getting a fabricator to modify your current tank and/or frame so that it fits. Maybe first get a seat that you like, and get the seat and tank fitted together at the same time. Do that, make some nice custom side covers, and you'd pretty much have a decent-looking bike.
There are also a lot of very reasonable brand new tanks from Asia in all different sizes, shapes and styles on eBay.

Well unfortunately that's what I'm going for (or at least a restore mod) and the tank is a big hang up for me because this is my dream bike, between me and my dad (who is a master welder and fabricator) we have a fully supplied fab shop with English wheel plenishing hammer etc. We could honestly make one but I'd really like an original or at least a basket case to use as a template

Not to say you shouldn't go for the resto mod.........but Dogbunny is right, the bike has very little in the way of an XS2 visually and the whole front end and wheels are from an 81 Special.......that's the first thing people are going to see.

There are XS2 tanks out there......................don't get a 73TX thinking it is the same as an XS2 or have a seller convince you its for an XS2, because they are 2 different tanks. XS1/1B and XS2 are the same so as you can imagine the guys doing an early XS1/1B restore are going to be able to pay the bigger dollars as their bike will be able to absorb the cost more.

custom.JPG

I don't mean to sound contentious, but now you are just contradicting yourself. You posted this pic in another thread and wrote here's what "I would like mine to end up looking like." This is a very custom, non-original bike. If you really want to do a 72 restoration, start with a 72 that has not been completely altered. Buy it with the money you make selling your current 72 after you make a seat and side covers for it.

well i have changed my mind since then, and found another 72 parts bike (MISSING THE TANK), and I have the original side covers and the other 72 has the original seat, wheels, front end etc

.... contact " marks650yamahas " shoot him a email... I think there's a couple over there... they'll need some " luv ".

gggGary are you lookin for a Standard tank?
slightly dented, very clean inside .

Attachments

• 20190220_130516.jpg
    20190220_130516.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 20190220_130459.jpg
    20190220_130459.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 20190220_130539.jpg
    20190220_130539.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 152
Ok so it turns out this tank that's on the 72 frame I just got doesn't fit, like not even a little, I've been searching ebay and looked through here and there's no recent posts with anyone selling one, so if anyone here has one they'd be willing to let go, I'd be extremely happy.View attachment 135350
I've attached a photo of the tank that's on the bike now for reference

All help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Hi Carter,
while the bike in the photo seems to have a '72 frame nothin' else is.
Engine (or at least it's right side casting) is '81 or later.
Front end, rear shocks & cast wheels are '77 or later.
Rear fender is aftermarket H-D lookalike.
Tank and seat are most likely Yamaha but likely from different models.
Good luck with whatever resto you go for.

Hi Carter,
while the bike in the photo seems to have a '72 frame nothin' else is.
Engine (or at least it's right side casting) is '81 or later.
Front end, rear shocks & cast wheels are '77 or later.
Rear fender is aftermarket H-D lookalike.
Tank and seat are most likely Yamaha but likely from different models.
Good luck with whatever resto you go for.

yeah, I've been over it in another post and got a ton of input from the local experts on here, when I bought the bike it also came with an 81, which seems to be where most of the incorrect parts came from, but the frame and motor have matching ser. #'s that confirm its a 72 just with later side covers, tank, fenders, etc., but I always appreciate the input man, and thanks I'm definitely gonna need all the luck I can get lol

Back