1973 TX650 clips for side cover scripts or plaque logos

Ben

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello to all!

Trying to complete a restoration started by a PO. Can someone please take a photo of the inside of their side cover and post it so that I may see what the clips look like? There are none apparent in the unlabeled and mixed parts bags I received.

Thanks!!!
20161002_104012.jpg

Hi Ben,
the trim pieces are held on by spring clips that push straight on to the plain posts that stick through the holes in the cover.
The clips only work once and most times prying them off wrecks the posts as well as the clips.
FWIW when my YAMAHA plate fell off the fork trim piece I put it back on with two 1/8" diameter aluminum pop rivets.
Yes, the rivet heads show but that plate ain't ever gonna fall off again.
A more elegant fix would be to use the existing pins to align the trip pieces and stick them on with 2-part epoxy.

Thanks Fred,

I think I will go with the original style fasteners, but may utilize something such as a dab of epoxy to supplement if I feel that the fastener might fail. My concern is that I or some future younger custodian have an opportunity to dismantle the attached pieces should they need to.

I found #10 zinc plated spring clips at a building supply for 15 cents each. A day of acrylate should ensure their continued retention.
Thanks for your help!
Ben

You can go to any auto/hardware store and buy push on round spring clips. I normally get ones that are just a little smaller than the pins for the badge. If they are to small I use a dremmel with a small round cutter or a small round file and gently increase the hole size. I also punch a rubber washer(from a sheet of rubber or old inner tube) and place this between the cover and the clip to keep everything from loosening with vibration. You can buy a punch set from Harbor Frt for cheap. When you push on the clip you can use a nut driver or small deep socket to gently push clip into place.

Back