For Sale - 1973 TX650 Manx Racer

MN_TX650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Threw her on craigslist this weekend. Too many bikes, not enough time to ride em all any more. $2950 obo...bike is located in Hastings, MN - 55033 (Just south of the Twin Cities)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/3927233142.html

I am selling my 1973 Yamaha TX650 Cafe Racer Motorcycle. This bike started out as a worn out stock TX650 (precursor to the popular XS650). My goal was to build a Cafe Racer inspired by the Norton Manx racers of years ago. I love the end result, but just don't have the time to ride it any more and would rather see it go to someone who does.

I have thousands invested in parts on this bike, and many hours designing, fabricating, and restoring it. And it is a blast to ride! Runs the twisties like it's on rails. Here is a list of most of the work done. . .I am sure I will miss something:

-New Avon Roadrunner tires, tubes, wheel bearings, and seals
-All new brake, clutch, throttle, tach/speedo, and decompression/starter lines
-New front caliper seal kit and pads as well as new rear brake shoes
-New brake/clutch levers, springs, and brake light switch
-New Fork tubes, seals, and dust boots
-Tapered steering head bearings
-Lucas style headlight with Halogen Bulb and Fork Mounts
-Tarozzi adjustable Clip-On Handlebars and Napoleon Bar End Mirrors
-New turn sigs front and rear
-Bronze swing arm bushings and a new pivot shaft
-New 12-3/4" Rear Shocks
-New Sprockets and 530 Drive chain
-PAMCO Ignition kit with HO coil and plug lines
-POD K&N air filters
-Tapered Cone slip-on mufflers
-XS750 Tank Powder coated with new gas cap and 2 new petcocks
-Manx Racing Seat by Clubman Racing

I think that is most of the big stuff, minus new gaskets, filters, and seals here and there. The bike has 16,650 original miles. It has both kick start, and an electric start. You really need to see in person to appreciate! The clutch rod seal is currently leaking, but I have a new seal on order and will install when it comes in. I noticed the leaking while cleaning up the bike after winter storage. Keep in mind this bike is 40 years old...but a blast to ride and runs great!

Cafe650008.jpg

Cafe650004.jpg

Last edited:
Where are you located in MN? I'm in Lakeville, PM sent... Oops, I guess I didn't read very well, I see Hastings clearly.

Last edited:
One more bump before the weekend. Hoping to sell soon. Need the $$ for other projects waiting in the wings. Ran a price list yesterday, and have about $2500 in parts alone.

I'm going to give you another bump, and say that's a beautiful job you did on it! Hope you're able to find it a new home soon. Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question concerning the seat. I see you've put the original rear fender back on. Were there any problems fitting it with the Manx seat?

It took some mickey-mousin around to get it all to work, but I like the look so much more then the shorty fender I had mounted to it before. I welded a cross piece to the frame to mount the seat to, and had to modify it slightly to clear the original fender when I pulled the shorty fender off. I had so much interest in the bike the last time I had it listed, that I am surprised it has not sold yet. Getting a lot of emails thru craigslist, but most end up being no shows...

One more bump...Have had some interest. But no takers as of yet. XS650 members $2500. I've got more then that into parts from MikesXS and other places....

That brings back some memories... Wish I could keep her, but just not enough room in the stable. Single stall garage that holds the '73, a '78 650, an 86 aspencade with a 2 person sidecar, my wifes scooter, and my new Ultra Classic. Just too many toys and no room to work!!

I had 3 different guys look at it last year and ask if I still had the original fender. So I decided it needed to go back on. I dig the look too. Pictures do not do the bike justice!

Sorry, but it has sold. Was sad to see the old girl roll away, but moving on to the next XS :)

Back