1975 650 smoking Blue

3andit

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just picked up a '75 650 for my first motorcycle project (done trucks n jeeps in the past)
So I get the bike home and I already knew the electric start didn't work no issue easy fix if I even end up fixing it! The bike starts first kick every time idles smooth, but upon revving it up it smoked blue, like fills my garage with blue smoke like a two stroke lol so at first I thought ah maybe I'll get the old girl out on the road take it for a good ride and see if it's just from it sitting for too long. I rode the bike twice now got it all warm used different rpm ranges etc and it still smokes like crazy. So first things first I pulled apart the carbs. The carbs were spotless looked good operate great so awesome. While the carbs were off I took my flashlight and looked into the engine just because I'm curious and I noticed it's very black with huge carbon build up like cacked on everywhere! Weird thing is the bike seems to run really well. Right after running the bike up and down the road a few times I pulled the plugs and they were caked in carbon and wet n oily. At that time I completed a compression test and both cylinders are at 120psi not great but not at all bad. So I was thinking well better take the engine out and rebuild! But before I get too far ahead of myself I figured I'd ask your opinions.
So after that long read what all do you guys think ?
Oh and when I pulled the exhaust off it had a thick layer of carbon build up

Thanks in advance everyone !

Yessir, you nailed it! Complete top end overhaul.
Plenty of resources in here to help.
Pour thru the "Tech" section.
Download the manuals...

I have been on XS direct but they seem to be out of stock on a number of items I require and won't let me place an order unless it is in stock which is odd

Hey Guys I got the Engine apart today and here is what I found:

Attachments

• Xs650 engine 1.JPG
    Xs650 engine 1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 155
  • xs650 engine.JPG
    xs650 engine.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Xs650 engine2.JPG
    Xs650 engine2.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Xs650 engine3.JPG
    Xs650 engine3.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Xs650 Engine 4.JPG
    Xs650 Engine 4.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 144
So my next question now is, is it the valves that are passing the oil or the piston rings? What are your thoughts on the pics I provided and if you need more please let me know :)

Thanks everyone

IMO bring jug to shop ask them to bore it and let them order the piston kit. It'll ensure that they go to the smallest oversize possible leaving cylinder left for the future. Certainly while you're there valve guide seals and check valve to valve guide clearance.

Valve seals are easy and you can make a spring compressor cheap.

Posted via Mobile

Back