1975 xs650 build "Gamble"

TeknoRob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey fellas!
New round these parts, newish to riding in general actually...
Got my riding yellows back in Feb 2012 with a gn250 to scoot around on. Knew nothing about anything mechanical or even owned a screwdriver.
Got bored of looking like a dork, so I did the plunge and pulled my bike apart, rattied her up with new paint, clean hardware, new shiny things, and pirate skulls yarrrr. Once I put her back together I noticed I'd caught some kind of addiction.
My cousin and a bunch of his mates were making a club at the time "Slob bobbers", each of them building their own xs650 bobber(some are up on xs650 chopper). I had to get in on that, and so one day last August I hovering around on Ebay when I saw a running xs650 for a great price about 170km away. So I called the guy up, and we arranged for me to get it for the current bid as long as no one out bid me by the time I got there..
That night I got my mates trailer and sped down. Got there no problems and owned an xs650 that night :thumbsup:
uploadfromtaptalk1357788657147.jpg
She was rough and tough. The guy before me treated her well in his own way.
The carbs were new mikuni vm34 round slides, the tank he personally and beautifully painted a harlequin blue/purple, spoked rims, a running engine, and a solid frame. Oh and new bearings and bushings, and tonnes of spares.
Turned out the guy was posting about this very bike during his build, so I found some pics of the gal:
uploadfromtaptalk1357789372712.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1357789419676.jpg

So the journey began and I quickly realized that having no tools other than the socket set and Phillips head I bought for my gn250 posed a problem to the build. Rather than go and spend heaps, I bought tools as I needed them. Now I have a wicked garage full of to do most anything.
I drew my goal on paper and off I went.
uploadfromtaptalk1357792020339.jpg
The first thing to restore was the wheels
uploadfromtaptalk1357789829647.jpg
Yuck. Both wheels were in similar condition.
Chucked a wire wheel in the drill and roughed up the inside of the rim. Loved how it looked so I decided to leave it like that.
Used an orbital sander initially to destroy that to layer of muck. Quickly changed back to hand though to prevent doing too much damage.
I sanded with 280 grit, working my way slowly up to 1500. worked on a quarter at a time and then a second or third pass over the whole side of a rim.
uploadfromtaptalk1357790140525.jpg
Once they finally reflected well enough, out came the polish. Mothers Al and mag polish, nothing shines like it. It says so on the can!
Gave em a rub, and it came up great!
uploadfromtaptalk1357790412025.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1357790547963.jpg
That's what she said.

Next those point covers were black for some reason, so undid that with a similar method to the wheels. Dunked them in spirits for a while and sanded to 1500, polished and done..
uploadfromtaptalk1357790749729.jpg

Ordered a heap of new parts in from Mikes xs, and TC bros... Shipping was bitch expensive but totally worth it.
Also got a visual impact brat kit, pipe bomb ignition, and a seat from a guy in Melbourne.

So I needed to chop and weld the kit on. There goes her arse, and almost mine. Spot the safety risks...
uploadfromtaptalk1357791390369.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1357791441113.jpg
I'm no welder, so I enlisted help from the club. We set the kit up like an Atari symbol. Love it.
uploadfromtaptalk1357791615236.jpg

Last edited:
Added some cmx250 shocks and had them nice and forward to give it a hard ass look.
uploadfromtaptalk1357792455704.jpg

Also got my first experience in welding the mounting tab to the pipe bomb. No pictures of that yet I did a terrible job of it but the welder did well covering my tracks.

The afternoon I got my frame back I couldn't stop myself from kicking it up. Just had to glimpse the future...
uploadfromtaptalk1357792711448.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1357792729714.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1357792752394.jpg
The stuff wet dreams are made of.

It can sit there like that now and be my inspiration. On to the engine covers, they're still painted black. Too much of a pain to sand all that hard paint off, so I bought some paint stripper.
Now being the fool I am I was unaware of what paint stripper can do to humans. I got my brush out and spread it like peanut butter on toast, left the lid of the can and everything. My only safety protection was my glasses. Don't want to get stuff in my eyes!
As I applied it, I began to noticed a growing substantial difficulty to breathe, and my hands were tingling like mad. Finally a synapse fired telling me this stuff is potentially eating me just as well as it does with paint.
Gasping and burning I left my unventilated garage for the night and cleaned myself off. Next weekend I was back into it with appropriate filters, gloves, etc.
Sanded the crap out of the side covers, a detail sander made the job less impossible. Same approach as my wheels again, got it to reflect after sanding to 1500 and polished her up.
Here's an "after stripping vs after sanding and polishing"
uploadfromtaptalk1357793561452.jpg
came up nice. Now the other one...
uploadfromtaptalk1357793926950.jpg
The case was coming up too nice, and you can't buy age I thought, so I didn't sand back the alternator cover and just polished it as is. Blends in just the way I like it.
Threw them back on the engine with some new stainless hardware and here's the result
uploadfromtaptalk1357794785630.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1357794768882.jpg

Loving it.
And that's where I'm up to.
Still a bit to go, but she's looking the part already
uploadfromtaptalk1357795021184.jpg

Gonna powder coat chrome her frame and swing arm once I clean it up with a grinder, and everything else that is black will get a fresh powder black.
The cadmium plated spokes will go on it after the hubs are done, they have a nice blue hue to them, and fresh road Dunlops. It's all little stuff from there! I hope...
Keep ya posted

Last edited:
looks the part, just installed incorrectly...

Got ya! :doh: The rails are rotated in 90 degrees. Hmmm... I never would have thought about doing it that way! Different look. I'm interested to see what it looks like after the seat gets mounted. It deffinitely changes the profile and the lines of the bike. I think that is what confused me.

Been mulling over ideas to house the electronics with. I like the fake oil tank that TC bros makes, but I'd like to maybe go another way and use a tin cigar box...
Or I was thinking of buying a mig welding kit and fabricating something like a low profile triangle that sits underneath the seat and bolt it on to the triangle-pipes above the swingarm.

There isn't really an incorrect way to install this kit. Buying the pipes separately give the freedom to install in your own unique way.

Hey TeknoRob! No worries! :thumbsup:
I just didn't recognize it in that configuration.
Don't get me wrong, :bow2: I like the look and I'm looking forward to watching this come together! :D

Thanks guys.
It's the weekend so back into it!
Since I was going to header wrap, my cousin gave me his original pipes to replace that out of place 2-1 setup the xs650 came with. They needed a bit of a clean to prepare for wrapping. A wire wheel tore through the paint like a hot knife through butter and they got a new look with some white header wraps.
uploadfromtaptalk1357995114228.jpg
the lesson I learned from this was always use gloves and wear a shirt you don't like when handling fiberglass.

Next up I marked out everything on the frame that wasn't necessary. Wanna clean up that frame before it visits the prefer coater.
Used a flapper disc after cutting and grinding to get the frame nice and smooth. Also smoothed up the brat kit welds.
uploadfromtaptalk1357996020514.jpg
Let those sparks fly!

Chill time, it's 40°C this weekend and my aircon was beckoning me.

Needed to despoke my wheels... Used a spoke wrench to undo a nipple, but it was taking to long...
uploadfromtaptalk1358079085375.jpg
Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghnnnnn nyaan grrshhhhhhhhhhhh

Done!

I love my angle grinder!
muzak to work by
:D

Makes life easier doesn't it mate

Well my hubs and drum are off to the powder coater tomorrow to be painted a generic satin black.
Got all the bearings and all of them and pulled the rear drum apart... Far out those bearings were friggen in there though, took an hour and a half to figure out how to get them
uploadfromtaptalk1358162809454.jpg
Trick was not to use a rubber mallet, user a steel hammer. Move the inner spacer to the side to give a gap and beat the flying crap out of it.
Broke one of my no name ratchets... Oh well

Last edited:
Added my rear sprocket and front brake disc into the mix to get powdered. Just going to machine off the paint on the actual disc and the sprocket teeth

Got a my stuff back from the powder coater today
uploadfromtaptalk1359612340058.jpg
Looking much nicer
Should have my wheels rebuilt mid next week...
Meanwhile I bought a welder and am going to try build myself an electronics box out of sheet steel.
If anyone needs me I'll be in space...
uploadfromtaptalk1359612537464.jpg

Got my wheels back, pretty pleased with the outcome.
uploadfromtaptalk1360413924978.jpg
So I spent a bit of time today putting a roller together and cut the rear fender to size.
uploadfromtaptalk1360414039333.jpg
Think I'll use the remainder for a front fender, has a cool flare to it
uploadfromtaptalk1360414147057.jpg

Decided against the flared fender and chopped the old one to something a little smaller and simpler.
uploadfromtaptalk1362573143027.jpg

Next up I needed to attach another point of contact, other than the two fender struts i planned to make, with the rear fender to the swing arm.. so I opted to attach it to the battery box which I will seat on the swing arm.
uploadfromtaptalk1362573534273.jpg

Used a hole in an I beam in my garage to give enough leverage to cold bend my 10mm bar for the fender struts
uploadfromtaptalk1362573661149.jpg
Close enough, I'll bend more if I need to

Ordered a new taillight, sparto style.. Installed that, then chopped the round bar to fit into some bungs I attached.
here's a mock up of my rear fender
uploadfromtaptalk1362573848336.jpg

Man cold bending those round bars equally was a monster task.
Gonna have a tig welder from my club put it all together in a couple of days. Feels like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Back