1975 XS650B Spark Plug Question

TimG

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a new member with a new project. I'm having a lot of fun wrenching on my "new" 650 and even more fun riding it. I have big plans for the winter tear down and rebuild and really can't wait to see the old gal come spring time. The bike already gets a ton of compliments whenever I ride.

I just wanted to take a minute and say how amazing this site has been as a resource. I am definitely going to have a lot of questions as the project progresses. Hopefully, by the end of it all I will be answering posts to help others enjoy there 650's.

Now....on to the question. For the 75 XS are the NGK BP7ES and the Autolite #63 the plugs that I should start with? The bike is completely stock but has pod filters. I am going to clean the carbs and check the jets as they may have been replaced/changed.

What gap would you recommend?

Manual says between 0.7mm to 0.8mm. My gauge has one set at 0.76mm so close enough. I had recently found BP7ES vs BPR7ES and what a difference. Nice cleaner burn and less sooty on the plug. Will get more of these another time I order stuff thru a vendor here in Canada. Ohh and replaced my pleated pods to UNI style foam filters. That too made a hell of a difference in the bike. Do a search and near everyone recommends replacing them with the UNI filters.

Back