Make Offer - 1977 Cafe Project for sale

thisismcg

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been a silent participant on this forum for the past months and I would like to start off and say thank you for all for your time and effort posting all of the awesome information on the forum. I wouldn't have made it this far without your knowledge. Now...

I am unfortunately looking to part with my beloved XS cafe project. I bought it as a barn find and have put so much time and effort into this bike but I am moving and I have to condense all of my stuff. I have travelled high and low to acquire parts from other XS builders on craigslist and have had a fun adventure putting this great bike together. I am also looking to buy a harley sportster so I have a bike that runs and I can just hop on and ride for the season. I am posting this here before I post an ad on craigslist because I would like to give you guys first dibs. I am located in Northern NJ, minutes outside of the George Washington Bridge.

The bike is a 1977. I have almost all of the parts to get the bike running but it still needs some more things to get it all together. The frame VIN matches the engine VIN.
Stripped down headlight basket
Started stripping down the forks to be polished
Carbs have been cleaned/rebuild and are completely assembled (I think they are 38's)
Stock X650 rear shocks (I think 11" or maybe 11.5")
Modified front engine bracket (stripped to bare metal, cut off the grille)
I have done ALOT of cleaning and 'restoration' if you may say. There is no rust on what is assembled on the bike.
Brand new Lpolished clip on handlebars from lowbrow customs
Replaced most of the screws and acorn nuts with brand new stainless steel hardware.
Custom 2to1 headers sandblasted and ready for paint/wrap/whatever you like

I also have a brand new chrysler TCI & the 'homemade' regulator rectifier I started building, which just needs to be soldered together. I was building this bike with intentions of it being a straight kicker, no electric start.

New parts I have from MikeXS still in box:
8 01-0651 Brass Cylinder Head Washer
1 05-0039 Spring for Shift Shaft-Shift Arm to Drum
1 09-6581 One pc. Clutch Side Lever Bracket
1 15-6501 Oil Filter Screen (in RH engine side cvr)
1 17-3802 Copper Drain Plug Gaskets - (Pk./ 2)
1 17-4590 OEM Muffler Joint Gasket
1 18-0857 Gasket - filter element base
1 18-0874 O-Ring - tach drive housing
1 27-1007 Fork Seal Set (2) 77-84 XS650's
1 37-0014 Bolt, Washer & Lock Tab Set - 77-84
1 37-0015 77-84 Side Stand Spring Link Plate
1 51-6512 Tach Drive Stock Threaded Adaptor
1 51-6514 Tach Drive Block-off Cap
1 05-0042 Shift Shaft Circlip
1 14-0911 Pamco High Output Electronic Ignition Kit

Used parts I have acquired on craigslist and such not shown on bike:
K&N cone filters (also have stock airboxes I bought before I found the cone filters)
Foot clutch lever & Hand clutch lever w/ clutch cable
Front brake clutch lever + master cylinder w/ brake cable
Headlight assembly (just the headlight basket is shown in picture because I disassembled to clean it)
Rider footpegs
Passenger footpegs
Chain

There are some other things that I cannot remember at the moment that I'm sure I left out but I will update this post as soon as I get a chance to.

The bike needs
A seat (I intended to fabricate one myself)
Some fuel lines
Brake light

The tank is in pretty good shape and has original paint on it and no rust or holes on the outside, just a whole gang of rust inside. I have the original petcocks I took off to clean, but they need to be replaced or rebuilt.

I never got far enough to try and start this beauty up. The engine turns over and is completely free, which makes me convinced that this bike will start and run with very little effort.

I bought the bike with no title but I do have the bill of sale. In New Jersey all you need to get a title for bikes older than 1981 is bring a the bill of sale to the DMV and they will print you a new one for $100 I think.

What I'm asking for the bike? I really don't know how much to ask for this. I am a hardworking 23 yr old that just graduated college, and I am not looking to get lowballed or ripped off by any means. I have all the receipts from the build and know how much I put into the bike down to the last dollar. Make me a fair offer and you can come and take this beauty home and make it into the cafe I intended it to be.

Please feel free to ask any questions!

-Andrew

Before:

AotY8.jpg

04s6x.jpg

After:

NYola.jpg

dE2Fb.jpg

deDiO.jpg

HQDEL.jpg

Last edited:
yes, i still have the mags with the disc brakes that came with the bike.

although i bought it with the mags/disc brakes i believe 77's came with spokes/drum brake setup stock anyway? correct me if i'm wrong here...

yes, i still have the mags with the disc brakes that came with the bike.

although i bought it with the mags/disc brakes i believe 77's came with spokes/drum brake setup stock anyway? correct me if i'm wrong here...

Quite sure you are right. The rear footpeg mounts, rear fender loop, shock angle, and the lack of of rear master cylinder mounts seem to indicate that this a Standard frame that was in the PROCESS of being converted to rear disc. And a big YUP to stock spoked rims for a 77. The mags are not original to the bike, but look way cool! To my knowledge, all factory rear disc XS650 models were "Specials" that included the 78SE, 79SF, and the 80SG. Kudos for not hacking up the frame, and best of luck with your sale.

Really like the 1974 TX500 tank on the bike,too.