1977 emblems or stickers

Roto36

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have 77' xs650, the tank has mounting holes for emblem. When I search the web to see what the emblem looks like so I can replace them, all I get is graphic stickers like these-

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?yam_2.html~main
http://kz900.com/decals/yam/decals-yam-xs-tx.html

Could it be that my tank is from a different year of bike? I have verified the VIN on my machine to be a 1977.

Lots of pics on ebay with emblems but they're not to specific on what year the emblem is intended for. Mostly I see "Emblem will fit from this year to this year".

So my question: I want something stock on the side of my tank, is it supposed to be a sticker or emblem for the 1977 xs650?

Is the gas cap centered or offset? If it's offset to the right the tank is from a special. Your seat appears to be from a special also.

77 is decals, either maxi maroon or a medium non metallic blue.
77painta.JPG

78, 79 are emblems.

Oops forgot to post pics. Looks like my filler cap is offset to the right side. So from your description my bike is not a 650d it is considered a 650 Special.

Had to apply for lost title as the last person did not have one. I wrote it up as a 650D. Oh well I don't plan to change title to the "Special", to much of a hassle.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSC00918.jpg
    DSC00918.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC00927.jpg
    DSC00927.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00929.jpg
    DSC00929.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 204
I'm guessing it's a D with special seat and tank they are a bolt on fit.
Rear of the frame looks like a standard.

I concur. Your frame is a standard model. Your seat appears to be from a 78 or 79 Special, but that seat will not fit your frame, so likely someone reshaped the seat padding and used a cover for a Special seat. Tanks swap directly and yours is from a Special.

Special Seats fit right on the hinge pins (there's a whole thread about that) but they leave that awkward gap above the side cover.

You're right, you have to shim or swap the latch they are different lengths.

Back