1977 XS Top End Project Mikes XS 650 replacement

I attached it to the negative post of the battery and one one of the engine bolts. You may use the top engine mounting bolt.

I attached it to the negative post of the battery and one one of the engine bolts. You may use the top engine mounting bolt.

I kind of wonder if this is what it is...Goes to the starter. I really wished I paid attention to my buddy when he took this off. I'll check when I get home.

Attachments

• To Starter.jpg
    To Starter.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 109
Got it all buttoned up yesterday. Started on the first kick. Amazing. I road it about 7 miles this morning, and noticed a little oil next to the spark plug on the right hand side... Not sure where it's coming from, so I guess I need to tighten up head bolts this evening. I enjoyed working on this the past few weeks. I made a video, but I haven't uploaded it to Youtube yet. Will do soon.

motorshag that is the wire that supplies power to your starter motor. goes from the starter terminal to the starter solenoid.(under the right right side cover).

Got the oil drip to stop. Tightened up the auto advance housing unit screws. Not sure why those were so loose. But, I'm sure bourbon was part of the cause...road it about 50 miles today, the bike stalled. Got it home, discovered the auto advance unit was loose. Shaking all around. Tightened that all up. Now it will only backfire..when kicked over. Think I need to reset the points? I am truly at a loss now..

Start over on the timing - at this point doing a cam chain tension, valve lash and timing job should be second nature and take 15 minutes. If you haven't, invest in a strobe light for the timing once you get it running.

Install your advance mechanism - tap the lock nut tight with a flat punch (i.e. a big ass blade screwdriver in most cases) and secure the 10mm nut on the end with some blue threadlock along with the locking washer.

On the points side, secure the cam also with some loctite on the nut. Set the points plate in the mid-range of the adjustment or better, do the static timing with a 12v test lamp.

Again, do all the 'basic' stuff first - the stuff that doesn't change when the bike runs. Cam chain tension, valve lash (tappet clearance), static timing. Then try to start the bike.

If it was that loose, the locating pin may have come out. If that's the case, just tightening it won't do it.

John

I was lucky, I found the pin, it had falling out. I guess when i tightened up the housing screws, it allowed the auto advance unit some gap, and then the big nut loosened up. I was able to get it all back in (the correct way) last night. I will need to check it again tonight, and make sure the nut is still tight.

I was fortunate to have a good person stop on the interstate and pick me and my bike up. He took me home too. Motorcycle family is great!

Good deal. Maybe we can get together later in the summer. I have a lot of xs stuff, but the one I have in the shop is behind some of my two-stroke bike projects at the moment.

John

Good deal. Maybe we can get together later in the summer. I have a lot of xs stuff, but the one I have in the shop is behind some of my two-stroke bike projects at the moment.

John

Sounds good. I am always up for taking a ride out to Cain Ridge. BTW, there is a Ton Up bike event in Nashville May 20th. There is a Asian Class, if you are interested. It's at Drifters EastNashville.

The notched ring that holds the advance on has a raised lip around the hole on one side. That should face out. If you face it in, the ring may not stay tight .....

AdvancePinFront.jpg

The notched ring that holds the advance on has a raised lip around the hole on one side. That should face out. If you face it in, the ring may not stay tight .....

AdvancePinFront.jpg

I see. I don't know if mine had that pin, or a place to put that pin. I will check tonight when i get home. This was the exact pic and placement of it, when it was originally removed, before the re-build started. I do know there was a sleeve on the back that fits on a pin...

Attachments

• Broken Tab Advance Unit.jpg
    Broken Tab Advance Unit.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 78
That pin is part of the plate assembly and doesn't come out. It may or may not be on all advance units. I'm pretty sure this pic is the new unit from Mike's. The pin is a retainer of sorts that sticks out the back of the unit to help keep the locating pin in the cam from falling out .....

PinRetensionPeg.jpg

As you can see in this pic from an old shop manual, there was no pin on some .....

AdvancePinNotch.jpg

That pin is part of the plate assembly and doesn't come out. It may or may not be on all advance units. I'm pretty sure this pic is the new unit from Mike's. The pin is a retainer of sorts that sticks out the back of the unit to help keep the locating pin in the cam from falling out .....

PinRetensionPeg.jpg

As you can see in this pic from an old shop manual, there was no pin on some .....

AdvancePinNotch.jpg

That is the one I have. With the Pin on the back.

That's a pressed in part, no need to worry about it. My point was about the raised ring on the notched retainer ring for the unit. If you look close at your "before" pic, you'll see it is installed correctly with the raised ring facing out. Just make sure you put it back on that way.

Back