1978 Bobber build by Two Eight Customs

Badfish

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Background: I've been riding a 1976 Honda CB550 cafe for some time and I decided I was up for a change. So, I sold off the 550 and a CB750 to clean out the garage and to placate my wife. She absolutely refused to agree to me having a third bike. She additionally was adamant about me not spending so much time building a bike.

I conceded; this was a good time to have a clean slate.

I really like the bobber/chopper style, I had come across a couple of built XS650's in person and as I was looking and learning more, I found this site. I've been poking around quite a bit, just seeing what was out there. After my wife informed me that my time building anything that didn't have to do with the house was limited, I thought I would just find a bike for sale that was already built. So, I placed a wanted ad on this site....I figured, maybe something might come up. Not so lucky, go figure, a lot of guys like to hang on to these after they build them. In the meantime, since the bikes that I did find weren't exactly what I had in mind and/or didn't meet my build standards, I started considering having a bike built for me. Still, I clung to the idea...could I figure out a way to convince my wife it was a great idea for me to spend hours and hours in the garage, nights and weekends building a sweet bobber.

Obviously, no such luck.

It just so happened that this guy sees my ad and PM'd me and said, hey, I have a bike for sale that is finished OR I could build you one. That guy was Brett Ohland of Two Eight Customs. After a little PM'ing back and forth, checking his website & facebook page, talked to a referral he gave me, (which just so happens to be Shortbuss...check out the bike he just posted), I decided to call Brett.

Needless to say, I'm having him build a bike. So far, Brett has been very easy to work with. As I'm sure he'll attest to, I have a particular taste and can be a bit opinionated. I know what I want and since I'm not building it myself, I expected to be involved in most of the details. Brett has been super nice and has met my expectations throughout the build so far. He seems to really want to deliver the best finished product. He listens (as much "listening"one can do over text, but you get the point), he's good with feedback on ideas I toss out and can take those ideas and make them happen.

Keep in mind, all this has been done mostly over text. A few calls in the mix and an email or 2. I was only bummed we couldn't face time.

So, attached are some pictures of the build. Post up your questions or comments if you have them and either I or Brett will do what we can to answer them. Hope you like what you see so far, I do.

Some build details thus far:
1978 XS650
Frame lowered 2"and stretched 3"by Brett
Motor is rebuilt, stock except for the addition of a PMA and powder coated
Exhaust, rear fender, battery box, oil can electric box fabbed by Brett
Stock gas tank, with gas fill/cap change and relocation, modified mounting tabs
Forward controls
Rear disc break
21"front and 18"rear
Paint done in house by Brett

The pictures show where the bike is so far, basically from the frame build through some of the mock-up stages to the initial steps in the assembly process. The last pics are how the bike sits today.
More to come as Brett completes the build.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 232
  • p14.jpg
    p14.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 235
  • p16.jpg
    p16.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 229
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 241
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 228
  • p13.jpg
    p13.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 213
  • p32.jpg
    p32.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 296
  • p27.jpg
    p27.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 217
  • p24.jpg
    p24.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 273
  • p18.jpg
    p18.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 247
  • p11.jpg
    p11.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 240
  • p45.jpg
    p45.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Parts stripped, painted and assembly begins.

Attachments

• p38.jpg
    p38.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 232
  • p37.jpg
    p37.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 196
  • p35.jpg
    p35.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 235
  • p34.jpg
    p34.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 234
  • p33.jpg
    p33.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 209
  • p49.jpg
    p49.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 230
  • p48.jpg
    p48.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 275
  • p47.jpg
    p47.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 213
  • p39.jpg
    p39.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 218
  • p36.jpg
    p36.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 215
  • p41.jpg
    p41.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 205
Wow! The black components with the cream white of the sheet metal parts looks just perfect. The stock tank is nice with the fender like that too. I dig all of it.

Going to look great once it is all buttoned up. I like the black and chrome front wheel. I am hopefully going to have me some of them here soon.

I understand the wife/time thing but part of the appeal of these old machines is getting in there and getting your hands dirty. Anybody can write a check and ride off, your missing out on the best part!

Looking real nice. I'd say that while you are spending money, it would be smart to go with electronic ignition and an upgraded coil for reliability. You don't want to be dining that thing up later chasing electrical.
Just my 2 pennies.

I understand the wife/time thing but part of the appeal of these old machines is getting in there and getting your hands dirty. Anybody can write a check and ride off, your missing out on the best part!
Kind of agree, kind of. Sometimes, after hours and hours of wrenching and having multiple projects, I just want to ride..

Grinder - I would usually agree, building it one's self is a rewarding choice when the conditions allow. There is a whole lot of fun and sense of accomplishment in doing it yourself (although I would not dog someone for not building it themselves). I’ve been there, done that with a number of builds – cars, trucks, bikes, so don’t assume that a build is foreign to me or that I lack the skills. As with anything in life, there are choices to make. When confronted with - have the bike I want and have someone else build it so I can ride or have a bike sit in the garage in pieces and piles in various states of build and not ride for years, potentially... I chose the former.

Life and all its responsibilities limits people’s schedules, as mine is tight with work, wife, young kids, etc, etc. In an ideal world I could have it all. Maybe you do have it all, kudos if so.

So, it's not about just writing a check now is it. It is about riding and living. And I would argue your comments are unfair, misguided and stupid. If you knew my wife had brain surgery a little over a year ago? Would you change your tone? Would you have the sense to take your foot out of your mouth? It would be far wiser on your part to think before speaking, we all do things for a reason. So, she didn't want me to spend a lot of time on this myself. Sure, I initially posted her comments to me and my sentiments back light heartedly. Did I think I needed to come right out with the hidden why's and what fors? No. Did I really need to explain myself? No. For the record, I did it this once. Time I spend with my family is very important.

So, for this thread, I would prefer that comments be focused on tech, legitimate comments on the build. The pros and cons from a professional and technical aspect. I know there are a lot of intelligent folks on this board and their comments are truly welcome. Of course a “hey that looks sick!” now and again will never be frowned upon.

For the haters and couch jockeys, please keep the nonsense in your own head. I’m not interested in any random meandering thoughts you may have, go talk to a therapist. (this will be the last time I entertain your comments).

Knucks – I just want to ride, too.

Jd750ace – yes, I agree. I was tossing around the electronic ignition. Your 2 cents are welcome and heard. I’ve read a bit and know that the factory parts can be problematic. For now I decided to go stock. Brett is building a new wiring harness with new parts. So, I expect reliability for some time. Should an issue crop up, for a small project, I’ll be able to steal the time away and install the electronic ignition parts. I’ll post up later if/when any issues arise from that decision.

i too would second electric ignition. Set it and forget..

I'm sure the build is costing you quite some money, what's another $100? You're already getting the PMA, might as well get the rest of the talked about bits too..

Brett's making great progress....gauges, carbs, bars are on and the bike is almost complete with the wiring. Finish line is in sight.

Attachments

• p50.jpg
    p50.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 180
  • p51.jpg
    p51.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 202
The bike's complete! Really looking forward to it's arrival date....will post pics again after it makes it to it's new home.

Attachments

• p54.jpg
    p54.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 239
  • p56.jpg
    p56.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 257
  • p57.jpg
    p57.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 226
Never been a fan of ape-style bars, but damn if those don't look good! I cant say i dig the ya-mama pipes & brown (stick with the black theme, imo) seat & grips, but the black cylinders with the black metal, chrome engibe & white/cream sheet metal still looks fantastic! the whole stance just looks...'right'.

Never been a fan of ape-style bars, but damn if those don't look good! I cant say i dig the ya-mama pipes & brown (stick with the black theme, imo) seat & grips, but the black cylinders with the black metal, chrome engibe & white/cream sheet metal still looks fantastic! the whole stance just looks...'right'.

Black wrap on the pipes will look alot better

Thanks JDizon and Screaminc Meemie. Ya, everyone has their own taste. I know most guys prefer black. I have a thing for white and brown. So I added a splash of brown with grips, seat and pipe wrap. I'm happy with it.
The pipes were actually fabbed up by Brett. They were modeled a little bit off the yo-mama pipes and the pipes Smalls made for his bike, but Brett did a little different twist on them. Also, Brett made them longer than the yo-mama pipes and we didnt go as long as what Smalls did. Again, so many choices and everyone has their preference. That's what makes every bike unique. I like them, so ultimately that's what counts.

"I like them, so ultimately that's what counts." Damn straight! :thumbsup: :bike: Congrats on a sweet ride, I just put my Betsea to bed for the winter last weekend.. Time to bust out the studded car tires & snowboards here in MT.

Back